External Productivity and Utility Effects of City Airports
AbstractA hlfeldt G. M. and M aennig W. External productivity and utility effects of city airports, Regional Studies . This paper uses a micro-level data set for residential and commercial property transactions to investigate external utility and productivity effects for three (city) airports in Berlin, Germany, in a spatial hedonic analysis. It finds strong evidence of adverse noise effects on property prices and a discontinuity at approximately 55�dB. Marginal price effects decrease significantly in the presence of alternative noise sources, which can lead to biased estimates if the interaction effect is not accounted for appropriately. Given that there is less evidence of positive accessibility effects, the result questions the justification for locating airports in city centres.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 47 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
Other versions of this item:
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2011. "External productivity and utility effects of city airports," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33897, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- N0 - Economic History - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & Barbara E. Baarsma, 2004.
"Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1163, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bernard M. S. van Praag & Barbara E. Baarsma, 2005. "Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 224-246, 01.
- van Praag, Bernard M. S. & Baarsma, Barbara E., 2004. "Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise," IZA Discussion Papers 1096, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & B.E. Baarsma, 2004. "Using Happiness Surveys to value Intangibles; the Case of Airport Noise," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-024/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Volker Nitsch, 2009. "Fly or Cry: Is Airport Noise Costly?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2732, CESifo Group Munich.
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003.
"Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998. "Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mieszkowski, Peter & Saper, Arthur M., 1978. "An estimate of the effects of airport noise on property values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 425-440, October.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Substitutability and Complementarity of Urban Amenities: External Effects of Built Heritage in Berlin," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(2), pages 285-323.
- N. Edward Coulson & Michael L. Lahr, 2005. "Gracing the Land of Elvis and Beale Street: Historic Designation and Property Values in Memphis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 487-507, 09.
- Michael Lokshin, 2006. "Difference-based semiparametric estimation of partial linear regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(3), pages 377-383, September.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2013.
"Homevoters vs. Leasevoters: A Spatial Analysis of Airport Effects,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4301, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2013. "Homevoters vs. leasevoters: a spatial analysis of airport effects," Working Papers 2013/15, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Dakshina De Silva & Caroline Elliott & Robert Simmons, 2013. "Restaurant wars," Working Papers 44312700, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.