Measuring enterprises' investments in social capital: A pilot study
AbstractWestlund H. and Nilsson E. (2005) Measuring enterprises' investments in social capital: a pilot study, Regional Studies 39 , 1079-1094. Research into the impact of social capital on economic growth has focused mainly on the social capital related to the civic society. Social capital related to business enterprises has received little attention. This pilot study aims to develop a method of measuring investment by enterprises in social capital and to study possible connections between the enterprises' investments in social capital and their economic growth. Based on a network approach, the paper makes a distinction between the networks' links and the norms, values, etc. that are created and sustained by the nodes (i.e. the enterprises and other actors) and distributed via the links. The study has been limited to measurement of the links. Three types of link are analysed: (1) direct investment in social links; (2) investment in economic links forming the basis of social links; and (3) investment in social links originating from economic links.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
Other versions of this item:
- Hans Westlund & Elin Nilsson, 2003. "Measuring enterprises’ investments in social capital - a pilot study," ERSA conference papers ersa03p235, European Regional Science Association.
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberta Capello, 2001. "Spatial and Sectoral Characteristics of Relational Capital in Innovation Activity," ERSA conference papers ersa01p220, European Regional Science Association.
- James E. Rauch, 2001. "Business and Social Networks in International Trade," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1177-1203, December.
- Fischer, M.M. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Regional Development," Serie Research Memoranda 0035, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Gudrun Kochendorfer-Lucius & Boris Pleskovic, 2009. "Berlin Workshop Series 2009 : Spatial Disparities and Development Policy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2650, March.
- Stanislaw Walukiewicz, 2011. "Measuring Social Capital and Proximimty," ERSA conference papers ersa10p309, European Regional Science Association.
- Nijkamp, P. & Stough, R. & Sahin, M., 2009. "Impact of social and human capital on business performance of migrant entrepreneurs - a comparative dutch-us study," Serie Research Memoranda 0017, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Stanislaw Walukiewicz & Aneta Wiktorzak, 2011. "Social Capital in Education," ERSA conference papers ersa10p632, European Regional Science Association.
- Sriya Iyer & Michael Kitson & Bernard Toh, 2005. "Social capital, economic growth and regional development," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1015-1040.
- Mediha Sahin & Peter Nijkamp & Roger Stough, 2011. "Impact of urban conditions on firm performance of migrant entrepreneurs: a comparative Dutch–US study," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 661-689, June.
- Matteo Migheli, 2013. "Relational capital, profitability and access to credit: evidence from a sample of Italian small firms," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 60(2), pages 221-233, June.
- Rutten, Roel & Westlund, Hans & Boekema, Frans, 2009.
"The spatial dimension of social capital,"
30806, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Westlund, Hans & Calidoni-Lundberg, Federica, 2007. "THE CREATIVE CLASS AND SOCIAL CAPITAL - civil society, regional development and high-tech employment in Japan," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 112, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.