Localized Spillovers in the Polish Food Industry: The Role of FDI in the Development Process?
AbstractJensen C. (2004) Localized spillovers in the Polish food industry: the role of FDI in the development process?, Reg. Studies 38, 535-550. The paper aims to investigate whether there are spillovers and agglomeration effects in the Polish food industry. This part of the research focuses on horizontal or inter-industry types of spillovers assuming that they may be multidirectional and could be based on any kind of community related to geography, industry affiliation and ownership. In the transition countries that have opened up to foreign direct investment very recently, ownership can be an important determinant of the firm's embeddedness in both local and global networks. The study confirms the relevance of all three types of 'community' factors bur raises concerns that foreign investors appear to share their own 'glocal' networks, while spillovers among domestic firms are confined to their own and also to highly localized producer communities. An F-test on the appropriateness of pooling confirms the idea that regional policy may have increased the likelihood of segregation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susan E Feinberg & Sumit K Majumdar, 2001. "Technology Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 421-437, September.
- Barbara Blaszczyk & Richard Woodward, 1999. "Privatization and Company Restructuring in Poland," CASE Network Reports 0018, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998.
"Technology, Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation With Multinationals Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Sjoholm, Fredrik, 1999. "Technology transfer and spillovers: Does local participation with multinationals matter?1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 915-923, April.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 268, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Fredrik Sjoholm, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers? Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," NBER Working Papers 6816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro & Tokunaga, Masahiro, 2013. "Spillover versus Ownership: A Meta-Analysis of Transition Literature," RRC Working Paper Series 42, Russian Research Center, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro & Csizmadia, Péter & Illéssy, Miklós & Makó, Csaba & Szanyi, Miklós, 2011.
"The Nested Variable Model of FDI Spillover Effects Estimation Using Hungarian Panel Data,"
Discussion Paper Series
521, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ichiro Iwasaki & Péter Csizmadia & Mikl�s Illéssy & Csaba Mak� & Mikl�s Szanyi, 2012. "The Nested Variable Model of FDI Spillover Effects: Estimation Using Hungarian Panel Data," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(4), pages 673-709, October.
- Chidlow, Agnieszka & Salciuviene, Laura & Young, Stephen, 2009. "Regional determinants of inward FDI distribution in Poland," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 119-133, April.
- Del Bo, Chiara F., 2013. "FDI spillovers at different levels of industrial and spatial aggregation: Evidence from the electricity sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 1490-1502.
- Stephen Roper & James Love & Priit Vahter, 2012.
"The value of design strategies for new product development: Some econometric evidence,"
The Centre for Small and Medium Sized Enterprises Research Paper Series
114, Centre for Small and Medium Sized Enterprises, Warwick Business School, University of Warwick.
- Stephen Roper & James H Love & Priit Vahter, 2012. "The Value Of Design Strategies For New Product Development: Some Econometric Evidence," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 85, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Agnieszka Chidlow & Stephen Young, 2008. "Regional Determinants of FDI Distribution in Poland," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp943, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.