Determinants of the Regional Demand for Higher Education in The Netherlands: A Gravity Model Approach
AbstractSa C., Florax R. J. G. M. and Rietveld P. (2004) Determinants of the regional demand for higher education in The Netherlands: a gravity model approach, Reg. Studies 38, 375-392. Studies on the determinants of the demand for higher education typically emphasize the relevance of socio-economic factors, but leave the spatial dimensions of the prospective students' university choices largely unexplored. In this study, we investigate the determinants of university entrance for Dutch high school graduates in 2000, and pay particular attention to the attractiveness of the university, both in terms of its accessibility and the educational quality of its programme. We combine cross-section data on the region of origin of the high school graduate and the university destination region for first-year students with regional and university characteristics in a production- constrained gravity model. The main finding of the study is that the behaviour of prospective students is governed by a distance deterrence effect and a downward rent effect, but a positive impact results from regional/urban amenities rather than from the educational quality of the university programmes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miguel Portela & Nelson Areal & Carla Sá & Fernando Alexandre & João Cerjeira & Ana Carvalho & Artur Rodrigues, 2007. "Regulation and marketisation in the Portuguese higher education system," NIPE Working Papers 11/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Herbst, Mikolaj & Rok, Jakub, 2013. "Mobility of human capital and its effect on regional economic development. Review of theory and empirical literature," MPRA Paper 45755, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlos Vieira & Isabel Vieira, 2011. "Determinants and projections of demand for higher education in Portugal," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2011_15, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Frank Cörvers & Hans Heijke & Daniëlle Bertrand-Cloodt & Jesper van Thor, 2010. "The impact of distance deterrence on the choice of field of study in vocational education in The Netherlands," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 5, in: María Jesús Mancebón-Torrubia & Domingo P. Ximénez-de-Embún & José María Gómez-Sancho & Greg (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 5, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 31, pages 605-624 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
- Carla Sá & Raymond Florax & Piet Rietveld, 2007. "Living-arrangement and university decisions of Dutch young adults," NIPE Working Papers 14/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Michel Beine & Romain Noël & Lionel Ragot, 2013. "The Determinants of International Mobility of Students," Working Papers 2013-30, CEPII research center.
- Alm, James & Winters, John V., 2009. "Distance and intrastate college student migration," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 728-738, December.
- Ludo Peeters, 2006. "Job Opportunities, Amenities, and Variable Distance-Deterrence Elasticities: An Empirical Model of Inter-Municipal Migration in Belgium," ERSA conference papers ersa06p585, European Regional Science Association.
- Bauer, Philipp C. & Riphahn, Regina T., 2005. "Heterogenity in the Intergenerational Transmission of Educational Attainment: Evidence from Switzerland on Natives and Second," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 38, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Michel Beine & Romain Noël & Lionel Ragot, 2013. "The determinants of international mobility of students," EconomiX Working Papers 2013-26, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.