New Developments in the Use of Location Quotients to Estimate Regional Input-Output Coefficients and Multipliers
AbstractTohmo T. (2004) New developments in the use of location quotients to estimate regional input-output coefficients and multipliers, Reg. Studies 38, 43-54. This study compares the survey-based regional input-output coefficients and production multipliers published by Statistics Finland, 2000, with estimates obtained by applying location quotients (LQs) to national data. The consequences of using alternative adjustment formulae, the 'SLQ, CILQ and FLQ' are illustrated by an input-output model constructed for the Keski-Pohjanmaa (K-P) region. The results indicate that the SLQ and CILQ both produce highly misleading regional input-output coefficients and multipliers. These adjustment formulae are clearly not good enough for the purposes of making local policy and regional planning. The FLQ formula (β=1) yields much better regional input-output coefficients and multipliers than the SLQ and CILQ. The FLQ gives very good estimates for regional multipliers in nearly all industries. The difference between the multipliers generated by the FLQ and the survey-based K-P regional multipliers is on average about -0·3%. The multipliers for the K-P region are typically much lower than for Finland as a whole, indicating that the economic structure of the K-P region is dependent on that of other regions. Hence there is a need to make proper allowance for interregional trade. In the case of the K-P region, the FLQ with β=1 was able to offset the tendency of the CILQ to generate excessively large regional multipliers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=104661
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zawalinska, Katarzyna, 2009. "Evaluation of rural development programs after Poland’s accession to the EU: regional CGE approach," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51342, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kowalewski, Julia, 2012. "Inter-industrial relations and sectoral employment development in German regions," HWWI Research Papers 127, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Julia Kowalewski, 2013. "Inter-industrial Relations and Sectoral Employment Development in German Regions," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 233(4), pages 486-504, July.
- Kristinn Hermannsson, 2013. "Beyond Intermediates: The Role of Consumption and Commuting in the Construction of Local Input-Output Tables," Working Papers 1305, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Bonfiglio, Andrea, 2006. "The Impact of Romania's Accession to the EU. An Analysis of the Effects of Regional Development Policy Through a Multi-regional I-O Model," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 7(2), August.
- Kronenberg, Tobias, 2011. "Regional input-output models and the treatment of imports in the European System of Accounts," MPRA Paper 30797, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.