Economic Efficiency in Polish Peasant Farming: An International Perspective
AbstractOne decade following the market transition in Poland, the agricultural sector still exhibits low productivity. Policy makers often describe the sector as fragmented and inefficient. To understand why small-scale farming in Poland is inefficient despite longstanding secure property rights, a survey of economic efficiency in Southern agriculture was conducted and compared with limited studies of efficiency in Poland. The most important issues, particularly related to farm size and efficiency, are price risk, uncertainty and low rural development. Comparative studies across regions with varying institutional arrangements and economic organization are powerful, but must be made carefully and critically.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 35 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, Stanley R. & Bouzaher, Aziz & Carriquiry, Alicia L. & Jensen, Helen H. & Lakshminarayan, P. G., 1994. "Production Efficiency and Agricultural Reform in Ukraine," Staff General Research Papers 757, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1996. "On price risk and the inverse farm size-productivity relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 193-215, December.
- Boyd, Michael L., 1988. "The performance of private and socialist agriculture in Poland: The effects of policy and organization," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 61-73, March.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea, 1985. "Farm size, land yields and the agricultural production function: An analysis for fifteen developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 513-534, April.
- Phillips, Joseph M. & Marble, Robert P., 1986. "Farmer education and efficiency: a frontier production function approach," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 257-264, June.
- Brada, Josef C & King, Arthur E, 1993. "Is Private Farming More Efficient Than Socialized Agriculture?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(237), pages 41-56, February.
- Mijindadi, Ndanusa B. & Norman, David W., 1984. "Efficiency differentials in the traditional agriculture of Northern Nigeria," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 213-228.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766.
- Jean Due & Stephen Schmidt, 1995. "Comparison of Privatization of Economies of Eastern Africa and Eastern Europe," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 7(1), pages 50-75.
- Chmielewska, Wanda & Baker, Derek, 1995. "The Polish agricultural marketing system: A policy perspective on developments," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 51-57, February.
- Antle, John M., 1984. "Human capital, infrastructure, and the productivity of Indian rice farmers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 163-181.
- Taylor, Timothy G. & Scott Shonkwiler, J., 1986. "Alternative stochastic specifications of the frontier production function in the analysis of agricultural credit programs and technical efficiency," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 149-160, April.
- Shapiro, Kenneth H & Muller, Jurgen, 1977. " Sources of Technical Efficiency: The Roles of Modernization and Information," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(2), pages 293-310, January.
- Van Zyl, Johan & Miller, Bill R. & Parker, Andrew, 1996. "Agrarian structure in Poland : the myth of large-farm superiority," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1596, The World Bank.
- Csaki, Csaba & Lerman, Zvi, 1994. "Land Reform and Farm Sector Restructuring in the Former Socialist Countries in Europe," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 21(3-4), pages 553-76.
- Carter, Michael R, 1984. "Identification of the Inverse Relationship between Farm Size and Productivity: An Empirical Analysis of Peasant Agricultural Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 131-45, March.
- Hallam, David & Machado, Fernando, 1996. "Efficiency Analysis with Panel Data: A Study of Portuguese Dairy Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(1), pages 79-93.
- Christensen, G. & Lacroix, R., 1997. "Competitiveness and Employment. A Framework for Rural Development in Poland," World Bank - Discussion Papers 383, World Bank.
- Bhalla, Surjit S & Roy, Prannoy L, 1988. "Mis-specification in Farm Productivity Analysis: The Role of Land Quality," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 55-73, March.
- Benjamin, Dwayne, 1995. "Can unobserved land quality explain the inverse productivity relationship?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 51-84, February.
- Davidova, Sophia & Gorton, Matthew & Ratinger, Tomas & Zawalinska, Katarzyna & Iraizoz, Belen & Kovacs, Barna & Mizo, Tamas, 2002. "Variations in Farm Performance: Evidence from the CEECs and Existing EU Member States," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24906, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hannah Chaplin & Sophia Davidova & Matthew Gorton, 2005.
"Impediments to Employment and Enterprise Diversification: evidence from small-scale farms in Poland,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Chaplin, Hannah & Davidova, Sophia & Gorton, Matthew, 2005. "Impediments to Employment and Enterprise Diversification: Evidence from Small-Scale Farms in Poland," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24760, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gorton, Matthew & Davidova, Sophia, 2004. "Farm productivity and efficiency in the CEE applicant countries: a synthesis of results," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Jara-Rojas, Roberto & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Moreira, Victor H. & Diaz, Jose, 2012. "Natural Resource Conservation and Technical Efficiency from Small-scale Farmers in Central Chile," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126227, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hockmann, Heinrich & Pieniadz, Agata, 2007.
"Farm Heterogeneity and Efficiency in Polish Agriculture: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis,"
104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary
7823, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hockmann, Heinrich & Pieniadz, Agata, 2008. "Farm Heterogeneity and Efficiency in Polish Agriculture: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44278, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bezemer, Dirk J., 2004. "Risk and agricultural de-collectivisation, with evidence from the Czech Republic," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 13-33, March.
- Lukáš Čechura & Heinrich Hockmann, 2010. "Sources of Economical Growth in the Czech Food Processing," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(2), pages 169-182.
- Hockmann, Heinrich & Pieniadz, Agata, 2009. "Explaining differences in farms efficiencies in Polish agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51051, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Latruffe, Laure & Balcombe, Kelvin George & Davidova, Sophia & Zawalinska, Katarzyna, 2003. "Technical Efficiency Of Polish Farms: Estimation According To Specialisation And Lessons From Confidence Intervals," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25894, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tomasz Gerard Czekaj & Arne Henningsen, 2012. "Comparing Parametric and Nonparametric Regression Methods for Panel Data: the Optimal Size of Polish Crop Farms," IFRO Working Paper 2012/12, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.