A two-part fractional regression model for the financial leverage decisions of micro, small, medium and large firms
AbstractIn this paper we examine the following two hypotheses, which traditional theories of capital structure are relatively silent about: (i) the determinants of financial leverage decisions are different for micro, small, medium and large firms; and (ii) the factors that determine whether or not a firm issues debt are different from those that determine how much debt it issues. Using a binary choice model to explain the probability of a firm raising debt and a fractional regression model to explain the relative amount of debt issued, we find strong support for both hypotheses. Confirming recent empirical evidence, we find also that, although larger firms are more likely to use debt, conditional on their having some debt, firm size is negatively related to the proportion of debt used by firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Quantitative Finance.
Volume (Year): 9 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20
Other versions of this item:
- Joaquim J.S. Ramalho & Jacinto Vidigal da Silva, 2006. "A two-part fractional regression model for the financial leverage decisions of micro, small, medium and large firms," Economics Working Papers 9_2006, University of Évora, Department of Economics (Portugal).
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2012.
"Fractional Response Models - A Replication Exercise of Papke and Wooldridge (1996),"
University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 6(3), September.
- Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, . "Fractional Response Models - A Replication Exercise of Papke and Wooldridge (1996)," Working Papers 2009-02, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Joaquim Ramalho & Jacinto Vidigal da Silva, 2011.
"Functional form issues in the regression analysis of financial leverage ratios,"
CEFAGE-UE Working Papers
2011_28, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Joaquim Ramalho & J. Silva, 2013. "Functional form issues in the regression analysis of financial leverage ratios," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 799-831, April.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2010.
"Firm growth, European industry dynamics and domestic business cycles,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Harald Oberhofer, 2012. "Firm Growth, European Industry Dynamics and Domestic Business Cycles," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(3), pages 316-337, 07.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2010. "Firm Growth, European Industry Dynamics and Domestic Business Cycles," WIFO Working Papers 377, WIFO.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2009. "Firm growth, European industry dynamics and domestic business cycles," Working Papers 2009-18, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Mateev, Miroslav & Poutziouris, Panikkos & Ivanov, Konstantin, 2013. "On the determinants of SME capital structure in Central and Eastern Europe: A dynamic panel analysis," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 28-51.
- Ana Cardoso & Elsa Fontainha & Chiara Monfardini, 2010. "Children’s and parents’ time use: empirical evidence on investment in human capital in France, Germany and Italy," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 479-504, December.
- Latouche, Karine & Rouviere, Elodie, 2012.
"Brokers vs. Retailers: Evidence from the French Imports Industry of Fresh Produce,"
2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington
123331, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Latouche, Karine & Rouviere, Elodie, 2011. "Brokers vs. Retailers: Evidence from the French Imports Industry of Fresh Produce," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114398, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho & José M.R. Murteira, 2013. "A generalized goodness-of-functional form test for binary and fractional regression models," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_09, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Elmas Yaldiz Hanedar & Eleonora Broccardo & Flavio Bazzana, 2012. "Collateral Requirements of SMEs:The Evidence from Less–Developed Countries," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 12111, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Facoltà di Economia "Marco Biagi".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.