Characterising Japanese Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: A Firm Level Investigation of Stylised Facts and Investment Characteristics
AbstractThis article analyses the activities of Japanese investors in Central and Eastern Europe since the beginning of the region's transition. The use of firm level data on Japanese foreign direct investment (FDI) in the region allows us to focus on the industry, location and timing of affiliate establishment at a level of detail previously unexamined. This enables us to compare Japanese investment with overall regional inward investment as well as investigate country specialisation patterns within the region. We also characterise the type of investing parent, and determine how investments in CEE fit into the European-wide investment patterns for these firms. Finally, we investigate the entry mode choices of investing firms, finding a shift from minority-owned joint ventures and limited participation in the region in favour of wholly-owned subsidiaries and larger involvement in the region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Post-Communist Economies.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=102230
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arjun S. Bedi & Andrzej Cielik, 2002.
"Wages and wage growth in Poland: The role of foreign direct investment,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Bedi, A.S. & Cieslik, A., 2000. "Wages and wage growth in Poland : the role of foreign direct investment," ISS Working Papers - General Series 1765019068, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University (ISS), The Hague.
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, G & Fukao, K, 2001.
"Backward vertical linkages of foreign manufacturing affiliates: Evidence from Japanese multinationals,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/99731, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, Giovanni & Fukao, Kyoji, 2001. "Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 189-208, January.
- René Belderbos, 1997. "Antidumping and tariff Jumping: Japanese firms’ DFI in the European union and the United States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(3), pages 419-457, September.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard M, 2000.
"Foreign Investment and Productivity Growth in Czech Enterprises,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999. "Foreign investment and productivity growth in Czech enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2115, The World Bank.
- Gross, Dominique M. & Raff, Horst & Ryan, Michael, 2005. "Inter- and intra-sectoral linkages in foreign direct investment: evidence from Japanese investment in Europe," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 110-134, March.
- Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment and Enterprise Restructuring in Central Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(2), pages 477-504, July.
- Cieslik, Andrzej & Ryan, Michael, 2004. "Explaining Japanese direct investment flows into an enlarged Europe: A comparison of gravity and economic potential approaches," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 12-37, March.
- Sule Ozler & Erol Taymaz, 2004. "Does foreign ownership matter for survival and growth? Dynamics of competition and foreign direct investment," ERC Working Papers 0406, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Mar 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.