What Type of Transition is Cuba Undergoing?
AbstractSince 1990 the Cuban economy has faced a crisis comparable with those in Eastern Europe. However, since 1995 approximately, the Cuban reform has been showing significant results in terms of economic recovery and financial adjustment. As is the case with the Chinese reform, the stabilising, privatising and liberalising measures taken in Cuba point to a reform strategy essentially different from that followed in Eastern Europe. This article shows two relevant aspects of the Cuban case: first, the Cuban reform is a transition process toward the market although forced by external circumstances and still at an early developmental stage; second, the Cuban transition is in line with the evolutionary conception of a transition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Post-Communist Economies.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deere, Carmen Diana & Meurs, Mieke, 1992. "Markets, markets everywhere? Understanding the Cuban anomaly," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 825-839, June.
- Betancourt, Roger R, 1996. "Growth Capabilities and Development: Implications for Transition Processes in Cuba," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(2), pages 315-31, January.
- Pollitt, Brian H & Hagelberg, G B, 1994. "The Cuban Sugar Economy in the Soviet Era and After," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(6), pages 547-69, December.
- Marshall, Jeffery H., 1998. "The political viability of free market experimentation in Cuba: Evidence from Los Mercados Agropecuarios," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 277-288, February.
- Fitzgerald, E. V. K., 1985. "The problem of balance in the peripheral socialist economy: A conceptual note," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-14, January.
- Murrell, Peter, 1992. " Evolutionary and Radical Approaches to Economic Reform," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 79-95.
- Alvarez, Jose & Puerta, Ricardo A., 1994. "State intervention in Cuban agriculture: Impact on organization and performance," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(11), pages 1663-1675, November.
- Pastor, Manuel Jr & Zimbalist, Andrew, 1995. "Waiting for change: Adjustment and reform in Cuba," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 705-720, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.