Transition and Active Investors: Venture Capital in Hungary, Poland and Slovakia
AbstractThe development of active investors has been argued to be a major factor in achieving efficiency in enterprises in transition economies. This article analyses the role of venture capital firms as active investors in Hungary, Poland and Slovakia. It outlines the development of the venture capital markets in each country and provides evidence on the extent, nature and constraints upon the active investor role of venture capital firms in each country. The article discusses the policy implications for the development of venture capital firms as active investors in the three countries concerned, notably suggesting the need to develop appropriate legislation, enhance financial reporting systems, develop the range of skills of venture capital executives and define carefully the role of public sector providers of venture capital.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Post-Communist Economies.
Volume (Year): 11 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S Estrin & P Hare & M Suranyi, 1992. "Banking in Transition: Development and Current Problems in Hungary," CEP Discussion Papers dp0068, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anna Meyendorff & Edward A. Snyder, 1997.
"Transactional Structures of Bank Privatization in Central Europe and Russia,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Meyendorff, Anna & Snyder, Edward A., 1997. "Transactional Structures of Bank Privatizations in Central Europe and Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 5-30, August.
- Mike Wright, 1998. "Venture Capital and Private Equity: A Review and Synthesis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5&6), pages 521-570.
- Dixon, R, 1991. "Venture capitalists and the appraisal of investments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 333-344.
- Falconer Mitchell & Gavin C Reid & Nicholas G Terry, 1994. "Post Investment Demand for Accounting Information by Venture Capitalists," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9424, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Roman, Zoltan, 1991. "Entrepreneurship and small business: The Hungarian trajectory," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(6), pages 447-465, November.
- Wendy Carlin & Micheal Landesmann, 1998.
"From Theory into Practice? Restructuring and Dynamism in Transition Economies,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
155, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Carlin, Wendy & Landesmann, Michael, 1997. "From Theory into Practice? Restructuring and Dynamism in Transition Economies," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 77-105, Summer.
- Michael Borish & Wei Ding & Michel No�l, 1997. "A review of bank performance during transition in central Europe," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 337-357.
- Grosfeld, I. & Hare, P., 1991.
"Privatization in Hungary, Poland and Czechoslovakia,"
DELTA Working Papers
91-15, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Grosfeld, Irena & Hare, Paul G, 1991. "Privatization in Hungary, Poland and Czechoslovakia," CEPR Discussion Papers 544, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1997.
"On the Role of Banks in Enterprise Restructuring: The Polish Example,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 44-64, February.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1994. "On the Role of Banks in Enterprise Restructuring: The Polish Example," CEPR Discussion Papers 898, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lerner, Josh, 1995. " Venture Capitalists and the Oversight of Private Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 301-18, March.
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
- Igor Filatotchev & Irena Grosfeld & Judit Karsai & Mike Wright & Trevor Buck, 1996. "Buy-outs in Hungary, Poland and Russia: governance and finance issues," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(1), pages 67-88, 05.
- Abarbanell, Jeffery S. & Bonin, John P., 1997. "Bank Privatization in Poland: The Case of Bank Slaski," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 31-61, August.
- Pal VALENTINY & Trevor BUCK & Mike WRIGHT, 1992. "The Pricing And Valuation Of Public Assets: Experiences In The Uk And Hungary," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(4), pages 601-619, October.
- Macmillan, Ian C. & Kulow, David M. & Khoylian, Roubina, 1989. "Venture capitalists' involvement in their investments: Extent and performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 27-47, January.
- Steinherr, Alfred, 1997. "Banking Reforms in Eastern European Countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 106-25, Summer.
- Nir Kshetri, 2009. "Entrepreneurship in post-socialist economies: A typology and institutional contexts for market entrepreneurship," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 236-259, September.
- Judit Karsai, 2009. ""The End of the Golden Age" - The Developments of the Venture Capital and Private Equity Industry in Central and Eastern Europe," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0901, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- László Szerb & Gábor Rappai & Zsolt Makra & Siri Terjesen, 2007. "Informal Investment in Transition Economies: Individual Characteristics and Clusters," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 257-271, March.
- Darek Klonowski, 2006. "Local Laws and Venture Capital Contracting in Transition Economies: Evidence from Poland," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 327-343.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.