A Study of the Sensitivity of Longevity-adjusted Income Measures
AbstractThis paper aims to explore the sensitivity of longevity-adjusted measures of income, which have become increasingly popular as indicators of basic standards of living. For that purpose, longevity-adjusted income measures are computed for post-war Japan under various sets of postulates, concerning the temporal horizon regarded as relevant for the measurement of welfare, the ethical treatment of age structures, the degree of endogeneity of longevity, the value of a statistical life (VSL) used in the calibration of preference parameters, and preference parameters themselves (for a given VSL). Pictures of Japan's development are significantly sensitive to those postulates, suggesting that longevity-adjusted income measures should be computed under not one—as is usually done—but several assumption sets, to account for the difficulty of solving the income/longevity weighting problem. Hence, this study casts new light on the trade-offs raised by the aggregation of economic and demographic achievements into a preferences-based composite indicator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Oxford Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 36 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CODS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pierre Pestieau & Gregory Ponthiere, 2012.
"The Public Economics of Increasing Longevity,"
Hacienda Pública Española,
IEF, vol. 200(1), pages 41-74, March.
- Pierre Pestieau & Grégory Ponthière, 2012. "The public economics of increasing longevity," PSE Working Papers halshs-00676492, HAL.
- PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory, . "The public economics of increasing longevity," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2464, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory, 2012. "The public economics of increasing longevity," CORE Discussion Papers 2012005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00676492 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00566858 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.