International production networks and changing trade patterns in East Asia: The case of the electronics industry
AbstractThe concept of an “international production network “ captures the spread of broader systems of international production which cut across different stages of the value chain but which may, or may not, involve ownership of equity stakes. The concept allows us to analyse the globalization strategies of any particular firm with regard to the following four questions: Where does the firm locate the various stages of the value chain? To what degree does a firm rely on “outsourcing”, and hence what is the relationship between that and the firm's internal production activities? To what degree is control over transactions exercised in a centralized or in a decentralized manner? How do the different elements of these networks hang together? The ideas are applied to the trade links in electronics between firms located in the USA or Japan and countries of East Asia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Oxford Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 26 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CODS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Imai, Ken'ichi & Shiu, Jingming, 2007. "A Divergent Path of Industrial Upgrading: Emergence and Evolution of the Mobile Handset Industry in China," IDE Discussion Papers 125, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Liu, C.-L.E., 2012. "An investigation of relationship learning in cross-border buyer–supplier relationships: The role of trust," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 311-327.
- repec:dgr:unuint:200310 is not listed on IDEAS
- Banji O. Oyeyinka, 2012. "Institutional capacity and policy for latecomer technology development," International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(1/2), pages 83-110.
- Kuwamori, Hiroshi & Okamoto, Nobuhiro, 2007. "Industrial Networks between China and the Countries of the Asia-Pacific Region," IDE Discussion Papers 110, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.