City-regional Systems and Competitive Internet Economies
AbstractA live issue currently in eonomic development relates to the importance of city-regional business environments for the growth and competitiveness of internet-related industries. Drawing on theories of regional innovation systems, this study evaluates the importance of place-related factors in the development of internet firms in two UK city-regions. The findings highlight the importance of demand economies, external networks, key local firms and individuals, and government research expenditure. Institutional arguments about local-regional systems are not drivers for growth, but play a more complex role in shaping knowledge and technological infrastructure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Local Economy.
Volume (Year): 16 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=105324
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- Swann, Peter & Prevezer, Martha, 1996. "A comparison of the dynamics of industrial clustering in computing and biotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1139-1157, October.
- Cecilia Wong, 1998. "Determining Factors for Local Economic Development: The Perception of Practitioners in the North West and Eastern Regions of the UK," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 707-720.
- Scott, Allen J., 1995. "The Geographic Foundations of Industrial Performance," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 319-320, December.
- Freeman, Chris, 1995. "The 'National System of Innovation' in Historical Perspective," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 5-24, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.