Copper and the Chilean Economy, 1960-98
AbstractThis paper studies the links between world copper prices and the Chilean economy. The main conclusion is that world copper prices play an important role in short-term economic fluctuations. While many mechanisms may be at work, investment seems to play a major role. During a copper price boom, the higher copper revenues and associated capital inflows create upward pressure on the real exchange rate. In turn the, appreciation of the Chilean peso during the first part of the copper cycle contributes to lower inflation, which could explain why real wages grow more rapidly in this part of the cycle.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Economic Policy Reform.
Volume (Year): 5 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agnès Belaisch & Claudio Soto, 1998. "Empirical Regularities of Chilean Business Cycles," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 41, Central Bank of Chile.
- Robert Brandon Kahn & Adam Bennett & MarÃa Vicenta Carkovic S. & Susan Schadler, 1993. "Recent Experiences with Surges in Capital Inflows," IMF Occasional Papers 108, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique, 1998. "Empirical Puzzles of Chilean Stabilization Policy," Working Papers 98-02, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Esteban Jadresic, 1997. "What Type of Contracts Underlie Aggregate Wage Dynamics?," IMF Working Papers 97/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Juan Pablo Medina & Claudio Soto, 2007. "Copper Price, Fiscal Policu and Business Cycle in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 458, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.