Is there clustering among the Eurozone economies? Evidence from how the EU's New Member States are converging
AbstractOptimal Currency Area theory stresses the importance of the co-movement of business cycles among Eurozone member states for a successful common currency. In this paper, we show how to decompose economic cycles in a time-frequency framework in order to compare the coherences and phase shifts for Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany and France. We find that there has been some convergence on the Eurozone economy at short cycle lengths, but little convergence in long cycles. We argue that this shows evidence of divergence in the Eurozone into two groups: a German cluster and the periphery economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Economic Policy Reform.
Volume (Year): 14 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bouchouicha, Ranoua & Ftiti, Zied, 2012. "Real estate markets and the macroeconomy: A dynamic coherence framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1820-1829.
- Pomenková, Jitka & Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka, 2014. "China and the World economy: Wavelet spectrum analysis of business cycles," BOFIT Discussion Papers 5/2014, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Jarko, Fidrmuc & Iikka, Korhonen & Ivana, Bátorová, 2011.
"China in the World Economy: Dynamic Correlation Analysis of Business Cycles,"
CEI Working Paper Series
2011-9, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Iikka Korhonen & Ivana Bátorová, 2013. "China in the World Economy: Dynamic Correlation Analysis of Business Cycles," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 59(2), pages 392-411, June.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Batorova, Ivana, 2008. "China in the World Economy: Dynamic Correlation Analysis of Business Cycles," Working Paper Series RP2008/02, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka & Bátorová, Ivana, 2008. "China in the world economy: Dynamic correlation analysis of business cycles," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.