Effect of quality of institutions on outward foreign direct investment
AbstractIn this paper we study the effect of quality of institutions in the OECD and Asian host countries on outward foreign direct investment (FDI) stocks of source OECD countries using International Country Risk Guide governance indicators, for the period 1991 to 2001. We find that better institutions in the host countries have an overall positive and significant effect on source countries' outward FDI stocks. The strength and impartiality of the legal system, popular observance of law, strength and quality of bureaucracy and government stability in host countries have a direct effect on source countries' outward FDI stocks. Interestingly, trade changes sign and loses significance in two-stage least squares regressions compared with theoretical expectation. Furthermore, skill proxied by labour abundance in source countries relative to host countries appears to be insignificant in determining source countries' outward FDI stock.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJTE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mina, Wasseem Michel, 2012. "The Institutional Reforms Debate and FDI Flows to the MENA Region: The “Best” Ensemble," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1798-1809.
- Mina, Wasseem, 2012.
"Beyond FDI: The Influence of Bilateral Investment Treaties on Debt,"
51920, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wasseem Mina, 2013. "Beyond FDI: The Influence of Bilateral Investment Treaties on Debt," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1325, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Anil Mishra, 2011. "Australia’s equity home bias and real exchange rate volatility," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 223-244, August.
- Stoian, Carmen, 2013. "Extending Dunning's Investment Development Path: The role of home country institutional determinants in explaining outward foreign direct investment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 615-637.
- Mina, Wasseem, 2009. "External commitment mechanisms, institutions, and FDI in GCC countries," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 371-386, April.
- Ugur, Mehmet & Dasgupta, Nandini, 2011. "Corruption and economic growth: A meta-analysis of the evidence on low-income countries and beyond," MPRA Paper 31226, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 May 2011.
- Wasseem MIchel Mina, 2010.
"Institutional Reforms Debate and FDI Flows to MENA Region: Does One “Best” Fit All?,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper1034, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Mina, Wasseem Michel, 2011. "Institutional Reforms Debate and FDI Flows to MENA Region: Does One .Best. Fit All?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mina, Wasseem, 2013. "Political Risk Guarantees and Capital Flows: The Role of Bilateral Investment Treaties," MPRA Paper 51811, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.