Sustainable Human Development for European Countries
AbstractIn recent years, sustainable development has represented one of the most important policy goals at the global level. How to design specific policy actions and how to measure performance and results continue to present a challenge. The aim of this paper is to identify a numerical measure of 'sustainable human development' by enlarging human development with more specific environmental aspects. The sustainability condition has been directly analysed on the well-being side. Building a complex Sustainable Human Development Index may be a hard task because of data availability. European countries represent a useful pilot area for testing the methodology. The key factors of effective sustainable human development are emphasized, comparing a Sustainable Human Development Index with existing traditional indicators such as the Gross Domestic Product and the Human Development Index.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Human Development and Capabilities.
Volume (Year): 6 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJHD20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aguado, Itziar & Etxebarria, Carmen & Barrutia, J.M., 2007.
"Indicadores de desarrollo humano sostenible: análisis comparativo de la experiencia española
[Indicators for sustainable development: a comparative analysis of the spanish experience]," MPRA Paper 29019, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2008.
- Salvatore Monni & Massimo Pallottino, 2013. "Beyond growth and development: Buen Vivir as an alternative to current paradigms," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0172, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Sieds, 2012. "Complete Volume LXVI n.1 2012," RIEDS - Rivista Italiana di Economia, Demografia e Statistica - Italian Review of Economics, Demography and Statistics, SIEDS Societa' Italiana di Economia Demografia e Statistica, vol. 0(1), pages 1-296.
- Jürgen Volkert & Friedrich Schneider, 2011. "The Application of the Capability Approach to High-Income OECD Countries: A Preliminary Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 3364, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pasquale Tridico, 2007. "Regional Human Development in transition economics: the role of institutions," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0070, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Emanuele Felice, 2011.
"The determinants of Italy’s regional imbalances over the long run: exploring the contributions of human and social capital,"
Oxford University Economic and Social History Series
_088, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Emanuele Felice, 2011. "The determinants of Italy's regional imbalances over the long run: exploring the contributions of human and social capital," Economics Series Working Papers Number 88, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-François Hoarau, 2011. "Optimizing the new formulation of the United Nations' human development index: An empirical view from data envelopment analysis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 989-1003.
- Valeria Costantini & Salvatore Monni, 2006.
"Environment, Human Development and Economic Growth,"
2006.35, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Costantini, Valeria & Monni, Salvatore, 2008. "Environment, human development and economic growth," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 867-880, February.
- Valeria Costantini & Salvatore Monni, 2006. "Environment, human development and economic growth," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0062, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Ugo Gentilini, 2006. "How are We doing on Poverty and Hunger Reduction? A New Measyre of Country-Level Progress," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0068, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Gentilini, Ugo & Webb, Patrick, 2008. "How are we doing on poverty and hunger reduction? A new measure of country performance," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 521-532, December.
- Pineda, Jose, 2012. "Sustainability and human development: a proposal for a sustainability adjusted HDI (SHDI)," MPRA Paper 39656, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Emanuele Felice, 2012. "Regional convergence in Italy, 1891–2001: testing human and social capital," Cliometrica, Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 6(3), pages 267-306, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.