The Impact of Traffic Noise on the Values of Single-family Houses
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to provide an empirical analysis of the impact traffic noise has on the values of single-family houses. Under the assumption that negative externalities are capitalized into house values, the hedonic price method is used. Issues of asymmetric information and disequilibrium are discussed and tested. Furthermore, the cost-benefit valuation has been corrected for the existence of property tax. Noise pollution was found to have a substantial negative effect on housing values. A single-family house of SEK975 000 would sell for SEK650 000 if located near a road where noise is loud, equivalent to a total discount of 30%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Environmental Planning and Management.
Volume (Year): 43 (2000)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJEP20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cristián Mardones, 2006. "Impacto de la Percepción de la Calidad del Aire sobre el Precio de las Viviendas en Concepción-Talcahuano, Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 43(128), pages 301-330.
- Henrik Andersson & Lina Jonsson & Mikael Ögren, 2010.
"Property Prices and Exposure to Multiple Noise Sources: Hedonic Regression with Road and Railway Noise,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(1), pages 73-89, January.
- Andersson, Henrik & Jonsson, Lina & Ögren, Mikael, 2008. "Property Prices and Exposure to Multiple Noise Sources: Hedonic Regression with Road and Railway Noise," Working Papers 2008:10, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- ANDERSSON Henrik & JONSSON Lina & OGREN Mikael, 2008. "Property Prices and Exposure to Multiple Noise Sources: Hedonic Regression with Road and Railway Noise," LERNA Working Papers 08.25.269, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Janmaat, John A, 2007. "Factors Affecting Residential Property Values in a Small Historic Canadian University Town," MPRA Paper 6145, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boris A. Portnov & Yakov Odish & Larissa Fleishman, 2005. "Factors Affecting Housing Modifications and Housing Pricing: A Case Study of Four Residential Neighborhoods in Haifa, Israel," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 27(4), pages 371-408.
- Srikhum, Piyawan, 2012. "Statistiques spatiales et étude immobilière," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/10864 edited by Batsch, Laurent, March.
- Sebastian Brandt & Wolfgang Maennig & Felix Richter, 2013. "Do places of worship affect housing prices? Evidence from Germany," Working Papers 048, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Montero, José-María & Fernández-Avilés , Gema & Mínguez, Román, 2011. "Spatial Hedonic Pricing Models for Testing the Adequacy of Acoustic Areas in Madrid, Spain," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 21, pages 157-181.
- Wilhelmsson, Mats, 2002. "Household Expenditure Patterns for Housing Attributes: A Linear Expenditure System with Hedonic Prices," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 75-93, March.
- Henrik Andersson, 2008.
"Willingness to Pay for Car Safety: Evidence from Sweden,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(4), pages 579-594, December.
- Andersson, Henrik, 2006. "Willingness to Pay for Car Safety: Evidence from Sweden," Working Papers 2006:7, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- Andersson, Henrik & Jonsson, Lina & Ögren, Mikael, 2010. "Property Prices and Exposure to Multiple Noise Sources: Hedonic Regression with Road and Railway Noise," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Vania Ceccato & Mats Wilhemson, 2011. "The impact of crime on apartment prices: evidence of Stockholm, Sweden," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1026, European Regional Science Association.
- Wilhelmsson, Mats, 2008. "House price depreciation rates and level of maintenance," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 88-101, March.
- Tan, Teck Hong, 2011. "Measuring the willingness to pay for houses in a sustainable neighborhood," MPRA Paper 30446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tan, teck hong, 2011. "Neighborhood preferences of house buyers: the case of klang valley, malaysia," MPRA Paper 30420, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Matthews & Geoffrey Turnbull, 2007. "Neighborhood Street Layout and Property Value: The Interaction of Accessibility and Land Use Mix," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 111-141, August.
- Ben-Shahar, Danny & Deng, Yongheng & Sulganik, Eyal, 2009. "Property appraisal in high-rises: A cooperative game theory approach," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 25-33, March.
- Deng, Yongheng & Li, Zhiliang & Quigley, John M., 2012. "Economic returns to energy-efficient investments in the housing market: Evidence from Singapore," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 506-515.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.