Observations on the practice of data-mining: comments on the JEM symposium
AbstractA positive view of data-mining has been recently presented in a Journal of Economic Methodology ( JEM ) symposium. This is in stark contrast to the stance normally taken. In this note consideration of the Bayesian philosophy of science literature and the impact of data revision extends the analysis of data-mining. Introduction of these issues is seen to provide support for the arguments presented in the JEM symposium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Economic Methodology.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=104715
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krolzig, Hans-Martin & Hendry, David F., 2001.
"Computer automation of general-to-specific model selection procedures,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 831-866, June.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig, 2000. "Computer Automation of General-to-Specific Model Selection Procedures," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0411, Econometric Society.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig & David Hendry, 1999. "Computer Automation of General-to-Specific Model Selection Procedures," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 314, Society for Computational Economics.
- David Hendry & Hans-Martin Krolzig, 2000. "Computer Automation of General-to-Specific Model Selection Procedures," Economics Series Working Papers 3, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Hendry, David F, 1994. "HUS Revisited," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 86-106, Summer.
- Kevin Hoover & Stephen Perez, 2001. "Three attitudes towards data mining," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 195-210.
- Kevin D. Hoover & Stephen J. Perez, .
"Data Mining Reconsidered: Encompassing And The General-To-Specific Approach To Specification Search,"
Department of Economics
97-27, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Kevin D. Hoover & Stephen J. Perez, 1999. "Data mining reconsidered: encompassing and the general-to-specific approach to specification search," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 167-191.
- Kevin Hoover & Stephen J. Perez, 2003. "Data Mining Reconsidered: Encompassing And The General-To-Specific Approach To Specification Search," Working Papers 9727, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Gregory D. Hess & Christopher S. Jones & Richard D. Porter, 1994.
"The predictive failure of the Baba, Hendry and Starr model of the demand for M1 in the United States,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gregory D. Hess & Christopher S. Jones & Richard D. Porter, 1994. "The predictive failure of the Baba, Hendry and Starr model of the demand for M1 in the United States," Research Working Paper 94-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Davidson, James E H, et al, 1978. "Econometric Modelling of the Aggregate Time-Series Relationship between Consumers' Expenditure and Income in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 661-92, December.
- Muellbauer, John, 1994. "The Assessment: Consumer Expenditure," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 1-41, Summer.
- Suhejla Hoti & Michael McAleer & Laurent L. Pauwels, 2004. "Modelling Environmental Risk," IHEID Working Papers 08-2004, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- David F. Hendry & Hans-Martin Krolzig, 1999. "Improving on 'Data mining reconsidered' by K.D. Hoover and S.J. Perez," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 202-219.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.