Rural Roads and Local Market Development in Vietnam
AbstractWe assess impacts of rural road rehabilitation on market development at the commune level in rural Vietnam and examine the geographic, community, and household covariates of impact. Double difference and matching methods are used to address sources of selection bias in identifying impacts. The results point to significant average impacts on the development of local markets. There is also evidence of considerable impact heterogeneity, with a tendency for poorer communes to have higher impacts due to lower levels of initial market development. Yet, some poor areas are also saddled with other attributes that reduce those impacts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 47 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Qin, Yu & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2012. "Road to Specialization in Agricultural Production: Evidence from Rural China," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil, International Association of Agricultural Economists 126455, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nguyen Viet, Cuong, 2012. "Ethnic Minorities in Northern Mountains of Vietnam: Poverty, Income and Assets," MPRA Paper 40769, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Larson, Donald F. & Gurara, Daniel Zerfu, 2013. "A conceptual model of incomplete markets and the consequences for technology adoption policies in Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6681, The World Bank.
- Miquel-Àngel Garcia-López & Albert Solé-Ollé & Elisabet Viladecans Marsal, 2014.
"Do Land Use Policies Follow Road Construction,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4672, CESifo Group Munich.
- Nguyen Viet Cuong, 2011. "Estimation of the impact of rural roads on household welfare in Viet Nam," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 18(2), pages 105-135, December.
- Winters, L. Alan, 2014.
"Globalization, Infrastructure, and Inclusive Growth,"
ADBI Working Papers, Asian Development Bank Institute
464, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- L. Alan Winters, 2014. "Globalization, Infrastructure, and Inclusive Growth," Trade Working Papers 23974, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- L. Alan Winters, 2014. "Globalization, Infrastructure, and Inclusive Growth," Development Economics Working Papers 23974, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Khandker, Shahidur R. & Koolwal, Gayatri B., 2011. "Estimating the long-term impacts of rural roads : a dynamic panel approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5867, The World Bank.
- Peralta, M. Alexandra & Swinton, Scott M., 2013. "Impact Assessment with Opt-in Treatments: Evidence from a rural development project in Nicaragua," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C., Agricultural and Applied Economics Association 150988, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Rural Roads and Local Market Development in Vietnam (JDS 2011) in ReplicationWiki
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.