An Inquiry into the Development Process of Village Industries: The Case of a Knitwear Cluster in Northern Vietnam
AbstractWhile village industries are known to have high potential to grow, their growth process has seldom been analysed. This study explores the development process of a rapidly growing village-based garment cluster in northern Vietnam. We found that both the human capital and social capital (measured by the kinship ties with overseas Vietnamese traders) of the proprietors facilitated their innovative entry into new export markets. Furthermore, general human capital acquired by schooling and specific human capital acquired by management experience are found to have contributed to the adoption of a vertically integrated production system, which, in turn, contributed to enhanced enterprise performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Babur Wasim Arif & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2011.
"Virtual Incubation in Industrial Clusters: A Case Study in Pakistan,"
GRIPS Discussion Papers
11-08, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Babur Wasim Arif & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2012. "Virtual Incubation in Industrial Clusters: A Case Study in Pakistan," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(3), pages 377-392, March.
- Aya Suzuki & Vu Huang Nam & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2013. "Willingness to Pay for Managerial Training: A Case from the Knitwear Industry in Northern Vietnam," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-08, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Khondoker Abdul Mottaleb & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2011.
"An Inquiry into the Rapid Growth of the Garment Industry in Bangladesh,"
GRIPS Discussion Papers
11-10, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Khondoker Abdul Mottaleb & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2011. "An Inquiry into the Rapid Growth of the Garment Industry in Bangladesh," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(1), pages 67 - 89.
- Mottaleb Khondoker & Kaliappa Kalirajan, 2012.
"Determinants of Labor-intensive exports by the Developing Countries : A Cross Country Analysis,"
EABER Working Papers
23304, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Mottaleb Khondoker & Kaliappa Kalirajan, 2012. "Determinants of Labor-Intensive Exports by the Developing Countries: A Cross Country Analysis," ASARC Working Papers 2012-09, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Mottaleb Khondoker & Kaliappa Kalirajan, 2012. "Determinants of Labor-intensive exports by the Developing Countries : A Cross Country Analysis," Trade Working Papers 23304, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Sonobe, Tetsushi & Higuchi, Yuki & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2012.
"Productivity growth and job creation in the development process of industrial clusters,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6280, The World Bank.
- Tetsushi Sonobe & Yuki Higuchi & Keijiro Otsuka, 2012. "Productivity Growth and Job Creation in the Development Process of Industrial Clusters," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-22, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- NAKABAYASHI, Masaki, 2013. "Honesty, Diligence, and Skill: Risk Sharing and Specialization in the Kiryu Silk Weaving Cluster, Japan," ISS Discussion Paper Series (series F) f166, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo, revised 03 Jun 2014.
- Fahd Rehman, 2012. "Human Capital and MultifacetedInnovation: Evidence from the Lahore Knitwear Cluster in Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 17(2), pages 63-86, July-Dec.
- Amit Basole, 2014. "Informality and Flexible Specialization: Labour Supply, Wages, and Knowledge Flows in an Indian Artisanal Cluster," Working Papers 2014_07, University of Massachusetts Boston, Economics Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.