Social Capital, Human Capital and the Community Mechanism: Toward a Conceptual Framework for Economists
AbstractFor facilitating the development of a consensus on the concept of social capital among economists, this paper proposes its operational definition in a way consistent with the definitions of physical and human capital and discusses the relevance on the use of the metaphor of capital for social capital. Further, the unique characteristics in the production and accumulation of social capital in comparison with physical and human capital are identified in relation with the community which is considered the central mechanism to produce social capital. The merits and drawbacks of the community relative to the market and the state are examined with the aim of identifying the conditions under which social capital can be supplied efficiently in the direction of promoting economic progress.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shoji, Masahiro & Aoyagi, Keitaro & Kasahara, Ryuji & Sawada, Yasuyuki & Ueyama, Mika, 2012. "Social Capital Formation and Credit Access: Evidence from Sri Lanka," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(12), pages 2522-2536.
- Hashino, Tomoko & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2013. "Cluster-based industrial development in contemporary developing countries and modern Japanese economic history," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 19-32.
- Sawada, Yasuyuki & Kasahara, Ryuji & Aoyagi, Aoyagi & Shoji, Masahiro & Ueyama, Mika, 2012.
"Modes of Collective Action in Village Economies:Evidence from Natural and Artefactual Field Experiments in a Developing Country,"
47, JICA Research Institute.
- Yasuyuki Sawada & Ryuji Kasahara & Keitaro Aoyagi & Masahiro Shoji & Mika Ueyama, 2013. "Modes of Collective Action in Village Economies: Evidence from Natural and Artefactual Field Experiments in a Developing Country," Asian Development Review, MIT Press, vol. 30(1), pages 31-51, March.
- Kangogo, Daniel & Lagat, Job & Ithinji, Gicuru, 2013. "The Influence of Social Capital Dimensions on Household Participation in Micro-Credit Groups and Loan Repayment Performance in Uasin Gishu County, Kenya," MPRA Paper 48624, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sonobe, Tetsushi & Higuchi, Yuki & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2012.
"Productivity growth and job creation in the development process of industrial clusters,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6280, The World Bank.
- Tetsushi Sonobe & Yuki Higuchi & Keijiro Otsuka, 2012. "Productivity Growth and Job Creation in the Development Process of Industrial Clusters," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-22, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Babur Wasim Arif & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2012.
"Virtual Incubation in Industrial Clusters: A Case Study in Pakistan,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(3), pages 377-392, March.
- Babur Wasim Arif & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2011. "Virtual Incubation in Industrial Clusters: A Case Study in Pakistan," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-08, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- A. Lasagni & E. Lollo, 2011. "Participation in Rotating Savings and Credit Associations in Indonesia: New Empirical Evidence on Social Capital," Economics Department Working Papers 2011-EP05, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Aida, Takeshi, 2011. "Social Capital as an Instrument for Common Pool Resource Management:A Case Study of Irrigation Management in Sri Lanka," Working Papers 33, JICA Research Institute.
- Sonobe, Tetsushi & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2012. "The Role of Training in Fostering Cluster-Based Micro and Small Enterprises Development," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Els Lecoutere, 2010. "Institutions Under Construction: Resolving Resource Conflicts in Tanzanian Irrigation Schemes," Research Working Papers 23, MICROCON - A Micro Level Analysis of Violent Conflict.
- Buadi, Donus K. & Anaman, Kwabena A. & Kwarteng, Joseph A., 2013. "Farmers’ perceptions of the quality of extension services provided by non-governmental organisations in two municipalities in the Central Region of Ghana," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 20-26.
- Tsusaka, Takuji W. & Kajisa, Kei & Pede, Valerien O. & Aoyagi, Keitaro, 2013.
"Neighbourhood effects and social behaviour: the case of irrigated and rainfed farmeres in Bohol, the Philippines,"
50130, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tsusaka, Takuji W. & Kajisa, Kei & Pede, Valerien O. & Aoyagi, Keitaro, 2013. "Neighbourhood effects and social behaviour: the case of irrigated and rainfed farmeres in Bohol, the Philippines," MPRA Paper 50162, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saint-Macary, Camille, 2012. "Are Ethnically Diverse Communities “Bad” Communities? An Empirical Study on Social Capital Formation in Northern Vietnam," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11437, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.