Corruption and Democracy
AbstractMost models and empirical tests of the relationship between corruption and democracy assume corruption falls as democracy matures. Yet recent theoretical developments and case evidence suggest an inverted U relationship between the two, although so far no one has tested for this relationship. By drawing on a panel data set covering a large number of countries between 1982-1997, substantial empirical support is found for an inverted U relationship between the durability (age) of democracy and corruption. Fortunately, the turning point in corruption occurs rather early in the life of new democracies�-�between 10-12 years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christine Kalenborn & Christian Lessmann, 2012.
"The Impact of Democracy and Press Freedom on Corruption: Conditionality Matters,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3917, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kalenborn, Christine & Lessmann, Christian, 2013. "The impact of democracy and press freedom on corruption: Conditionality matters," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 857-886.
- Tine Søreide, 2012. "Democracy's shortcomings in anti-corruption," CMI Working Papers 10, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Van-Ha Le & Jakob de Haan & Erik Dietzenbacher, 2013. "Do Higher Government Wages Reduce Corruption? Evidence Based on a Novel Dataset," CESifo Working Paper Series 4254, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rock, Michael T., 2009. "Has Democracy Slowed Growth in Asia?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 941-952, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.