Formal and Informal Rural Credit in Four Provinces of Vietnam
AbstractThis paper uses a survey of 932 rural households to uncover how the rural credit market operates in Vietnam. Households obtain credit through formal and informal lenders. Formal loans are almost entirely for production and asset accumulation, while informal loans are used for consumption smoothening. The determinants of formal and informal credit demand are distinct. While credit rationing depends on education and credit history, in particular, regional differences in the demand for credit are striking. A 'one size fits all' approach to credit policy in Vietnam would be inappropriate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 44 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
Other versions of this item:
- Mikkel Barslund & Finn Tarp, 2007. "Formal and Informal Rural Credit in Four Provinces of Vietnam," Discussion Papers 07-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diagne, Aliou & Zeller, Manfred & Sharma, Manohar, 2000.
"Empirical measurements of households' access to credit and credit constraints in developing countries,"
90, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Diagne, Aliou & Zeller, Manfred & Sharma, Manohar, 2000. "Empirical measurements of households' access to credit and credit constraints in developing countries," FCND discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 90, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Carmen Kislat & Lukas Menkhoff & Doris Neuberger, 2013.
"The Use of Collateral in Formal and Informal Lending,"
Kiel Working Papers
1879, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Kislat, Carmen & Menkhoff, Lukas & Neuberger, Doris, 2013. "The use of collateral in formal and informal lending," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79765, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Rungruxsirivorn, Ornsiri, 2009. "Village Funds and Access to Finance in Rural Thailand," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP), Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche FakultÃ¤t dp-417, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Anzoategui, Diego & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Peria, Maria Soledad Martinez, 2011.
"Remittances and financial inclusion : evidence from El Salvador,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5839, The World Bank.
- Anzoategui, Diego & Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Martínez Pería, María Soledad, 2014. "Remittances and Financial Inclusion: Evidence from El Salvador," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 338-349.
- Hien Thu Tran & Enrico Santarelli, 2013. "Capital Constraints and the Performance of Entrepreneurial Firms in Vietnam," Working Paper Series, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis 32_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Mirko Bendig & Thankom Arun, 2011. "Microfinancial Services And Risk Management: Evidences From Sri Lanka," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 36(4), pages 97-126, December.
- Alexander Karaivanov & Anke Kessler, 2013. "A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed: Theory and Evidence on the (Dis)Advantages of Informal Loans," Discussion Papers dp13-03, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, revised Apr 2013.
- Annim, Samuel & Arun, Thankom Gopinath, 2013. "Is Climbing Difficult? A Gendered Analysis on the Use of Financial Services in Ghana and South Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 7688, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas Dufhues & Gertrud Buchenrieder & Hoang Dinh Quoc, 2012. "Social capital and loan repayment performance in Northern Vietnam," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(3), pages 277-292, 05.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Rungruxsirivorn, Ornsiri, 2009. "Village Funds in the Rural Credit Market of Thailand," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Frankfurt a.M. 2009 45, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Isabel Fischer & Tina Beuchelt & Tom Dufhues & Gertrud Buchenrieder, 2010. "Risk management networks of ethnic minorities in Viet Nam," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 17(2), pages 83-118, December.
- Kangogo, Daniel & Lagat, Job & Ithinji, Gicuru, 2013. "The Influence of Social Capital Dimensions on Household Participation in Micro-Credit Groups and Loan Repayment Performance in Uasin Gishu County, Kenya," MPRA Paper 48624, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nguyen Viet, Cuong & Van den Berg, Marrit, 2011. "The impact of Informal Credit on Poverty and Inequality: The Case of Vietnam," MPRA Paper 54758, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Doan, Tinh & Gibson, John & Holmes, Mark, 2010. "What determines credit participation and credit constraints of the poor in peri-urban areas, Vietnam?," MPRA Paper 27509, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Dec 2010.
- Arun, Thankom Gopinath & Bendig, Mirko, 2010. "Risk Management among the Poor: The Case of Microfinancial Services," IZA Discussion Papers 5174, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Rungruxsirivorn, Ornsiri, 2011. "Do Village Funds Improve Access to Finance? Evidence from Thailand," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 110-122, January.
- Vuong Quoc, Duy, 2012. "Determinants of household access to formal credit in the rural areas of the Mekong Delta, Vietnam," MPRA Paper 38202, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ha van Dung, 2014. "Short-term precaution, insurance and saving mechanisms in rural Vietnam," Working Papers CIE 82, University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.