The personal and the factor distributions of income in a cross-section of countries
AbstractThe shares of capital and labour in national income vary substantially both over time and across countries. This paper shows that the factor distribution of income is an essential determinant of the personal distribution of income. We use cross-country and panel data for a group of developed and developing countries to show that a larger labour share is associated with a lower Gini coefficient of personal incomes. This effect is not only statistically significant but also economically important. An increase in the labour share in Mexico to that observed in the US would reduce the Gini coefficient of the former by between two and five points.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 43 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benedikt Goderis & Samuel W. Malone, 2008.
"Natural Resource Boom and Inequality: Theory and Evidence,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2008-11, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Benedikt Goderis & Samuel W. Malone, 2011. "Natural Resource Booms and Inequality: Theory and Evidence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113, pages 388-417, 06.
- Benedikt Goderis & Samuel W. Malone, 2008. "Natural Resource Booms and Inequality: Theory and Evidence," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2008-11, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Benedikt Goderis & Samuel W Malone, 2008. "Natural Resource Booms and Inequality: Theory and Evidence," OxCarre Working Papers 008, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Goderis, Benedikt & Malone, Samuel W., 2009. "Natural Resource Booms and Inequality: Theory and Evidence," MPRA Paper 17317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elsa Orgiazzi, 2007.
"Financial Development And Instability:The Role Of The Labour Share,"
- Orgiazzi, Elsa, 2008. "Financial development and instability: The role of the labour share," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(4), pages 215-236, December.
- ORGIAZZI, Elsa, 2007. "Financial Development and Instability: the Role of the Labour Share," MPRA Paper 6304, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mirella Damiani & Fabrizio Pompei & Andrea Ricci, 2012.
"Labour Shares and Employment Protection in European Economies,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
111/2012, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Damiani, Mirella & Pompei, Fabrizio & Ricci, Andrea, 2012. "Labour share and employment protection in European economies," MPRA Paper 43058, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luciano BOGGIO & Vincenzo DALL’AGLIO & Marco MAGNANI, 2010.
"On Labour Shares in Recent Decades: A Survey,"
Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Sociali,
Vita e Pensiero, Pubblicazioni dell'Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, vol. 118(3), pages 283-333.
- Luciano Boggio & Vincenzo Dall'Aglio & Marco Magnani, 2009. "On Labour Shares in Recent Decades: A Survey," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Teoria Economica e Metodi Quantitativi itemq0957, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Guerriero, Marta & Sen, Kunal, 2012. "What Determines the Share of Labour in National Income? A Cross-Country Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 6643, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:pra:mprapa:43050 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elsa Orgiazzi & Paul Maarek, 2010.
"Which factor bears the cost of currency crises?,"
2010 Meeting Papers
810, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Paul Maarek & Elsa Orgiazzi, 2011. "Which factor bears the cost of currency crises?," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201101, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.