MNE Affiliation, Firm Size and Exports Revisited: A Study of Information Technology Firms in India
AbstractIn this study we argue that the export performance of affiliates of multinational enterprises (MNEs) in developing countries is determined differently from that of licensees of foreign firms or of domestic firms. Our empirical results for the information technology sector in India show that exports of MNE affiliates are greater when they have larger foreign equity stakes that bring more tacit knowledge transfer and complementary FDI advantages and when they import more explicit technology from the purchase of licences. Standard export determinants such as firm size and capital intensity do not matter for MNE affiliates, but they do for licensees and domestic firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 40 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Keshari, Pradeep Kumar, 2013. "Comparative performance of foreign affiliates and domestic firms in the Indian machinery industry," MPRA Paper 33076, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Apr 2013.
- Narayanan K, 2008. "Technology Sourcing and Internationalisation of IT firms in India," Working Papers id:1703, eSocialSciences.
- K.J Joseph & Vinoj Abraham, 2007.
"Information technology and productivity: Evidence from India's manufacturing sector,"
Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers
389, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Vinoj Abraham & K.J. Joseph, 2008. "Information Technology and Productivity: Evidence From India's Manufacturing Sector," Working Papers id:1418, eSocialSciences.
- B.L. Pandit & N.S. Siddharthan, 2007. "Inter-firm differences in FII portfolio investment in India," Working Papers id:1243, eSocialSciences.
- Rajesh Chadha & Geethanjali Nataraj, 2008. "Trade in Services and Investment Flows in South Asia," EABER Working Papers 21796, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Keshari, Pradeep Kumar, 2012. "FDI and firm level export competitiveness in the Indian machinery industry," MPRA Paper 47069, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- N.S. Siddharthan & Stanley Nollen, 2006. "Non-equity Alliances and the Performance of Indian Software Firms," Working Papers id:544, eSocialSciences.
- Stanley Nollen & N.S. Siddharthan, 2008. "Factors Influencing the Performance of Indian and Chinese Software Firms," Working Papers id:1584, eSocialSciences.
- Lin, Feng-Jyh, 2010. "The determinants of foreign direct investment in China: The case of Taiwanese firms in the IT industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(5), pages 479-485, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.