Fulani on the Move: Seasonal Economic Migration in the Sahel as a Social Process
AbstractMost research on short-term rural to urban migration and its impacts takes an economic approach and often emphasises negative aspects of migration, linking it synergistically with rural poverty in sending areas. Data from Fulani migrants in Northern Burkina Faso challenge this pessimistic view of short-term labour migration. Rather than a response to destitution, migration seems to be a useful way in which reasonably prosperous households can further enhance livelihood security. Moreover, factors not easily incorporated into a standard economic analysis, identity and village networks, emerge as being essential to the understanding of migration in this population. Finally, migration emerges as a highly dynamic process, which an ahistorical, static framework of analysis fails to capture.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2002)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bakewell, Oliver, 2009. "South-South Migration and Human Development: Reflections on African Experiences," MPRA Paper 19185, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert McLeman, 2013. "Developments in modelling of climate change-related migration," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 117(3), pages 599-611, April.
- Elisabeth Hyo-Chung Chung & Charlotte Guénard, 2012. "Mobilités, vulnérabilité et capital social: une analyse en milieu rural sénégalais," Working Papers DT/2012/16, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- de Haas, Hein, 2009. "Mobility and Human Development," MPRA Paper 19176, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cris Beauchemin & Lama Kabbanji & Bruno Schoumaker, 2009. "Entre parcours de vie des migrants et attentes politiques, quel co-développement en Afrique subsaharienne," Working Papers 166, Institut National d'Études Démographiques (INED).
- Konseiga, Adama, 2005.
"Household Migration Decisions as Survival Strategy: The Case of Burkina Faso,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1819, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Adama Konseiga, 2007. "Household Migration Decisions as Survival Strategy: The Case of Burkina Faso," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(2), pages 198-233, March.
- Rachel Sabates-Wheeler & Ricardo Sabates & Adriana Castaldo, 2008. "Tackling Poverty-migration Linkages: Evidence from Ghana and Egypt," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 87(2), pages 307-328, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.