Migration and Livelihoods in Historical Perspective: A Case Study of Bihar, India
AbstractWhereas other contributions in this volume focus on contemporary migration, this article explores the role migration has played over a long period of time, in western Bihar, India. By doing so, it reinforces one of the central themes in this volume, regarding the importance of migration for livelihoods: this case study challenges the assumption that migration would be a recent phenomenon, and argues that to understand the history of this area one needs to take account of the complex interaction between migration and development. Migration has been a livelihood strategy for many groups within the area, and the study explores how migration has been caused by and in turn influences poverty and livelihoods for men and women, and how these relationships have changed over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2002)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de Haan, Arjan, 2006. "Migration in the Development Studies Literature: Has It Come Out of Its Marginality?," Working Paper Series RP2006/19, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Majumder, Rajarshi, 2012. "Workers on the move: migrated labour in post-reform india," MPRA Paper 44765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Haan, A., 2011. "Inclusive growth? Labour migration and poverty in India," ISS Working Papers - General Series 22201, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Mueller, Valerie & Shariff, Abusaleh, 2009.
"Preliminary evidence on internal migration, remittances, and teen schooling in India:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
858, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Valerie Mueller & Abusaleh Shariff, 2011. "Preliminary Evidence On Internal Migration, Remittances, And Teen Schooling In India," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(2), pages 207-217, 04.
- Erenstein, Olaf & Thorpe, William, 2011. "Livelihoods and agro-ecological gradients: A meso-level analysis in the Indo-Gangetic Plains, India," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 42-53, January.
- Tsujita, Yuko & Oda, Hisaya, 2012. "Caste, land, and migration : a preliminary analysis of a village survey in an underdeveloped state in India," IDE Discussion Papers 334, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.