'Perspiration' vs 'Inspiration' in Asian Industrialisation: Indonesia Before the Crisis
AbstractThis article examines trends in and determinants of total factor productivity (TFP) in 28 manufacturing industries in Indonesia over the period 1975-93. The reforms of the mid-1980s appeared to have resulted in a significant acceleration of TFP growth. Among the inter-industry determinants of TFP growth, trade policy and orientation, domestic competitive pressures and ownership factors are singled out for scrutiny. The trade regime and one measure of domestic competition emerge as consistently important explanatory factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pierre van der Eng, 2008. "The sources of long-term economic growth in Indonesia, 1880-2007," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2008-499, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Lipsey, Robert E. & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2010. "FDI and Growth in East Asia: Lessons for Indonesia," Working Paper Series 852, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Okamoto, Yumiko & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1999. "FDI and the Dynamics of Productivity: Microeconomic Evidence," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 348, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Peter Warr, 2006.
"Productivity Growth in Thailand and Indonesia: How Agriculture Contributes to Economic Growth,"
Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS)
200606, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Feb 2006.
- Warr, Peter G., 2006. "Productivity Growth in Thailand and Indonesia: How Agriculture Contributes to Economic Growth," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139925, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Yumiko Okamoto & Fredrik Sjoholm, 2005. "FDI and the Dynamics of Productivity in Indonesian Manufacturing," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 160-182.
- Basri, Muhammad Chatib, 2013. "A Tale of Two Crises: Indonesia’s Political Economy," Working Papers 57, JICA Research Institute.
- Michiel Van Dijk & Adam Szirmai, 2006. "Technical efficiency and embodied technical change in the Indonesian pulp and paper industry," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 163-178.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.