Banking reform and the financing of firm investment: An empirical analysis of the Chilean experience, 1983-92
AbstractThis article investigates whether the Chilean banking reforms of the 1980s have contributed to reducing market imperfections in Chilean financial markets in the late 1980 and early 1990s. To analyse this issue, patterns of investment and its finance for different types of firms are studied, based on balance sheet information of a panel of 70 firms. The most important conclusion is that those specific reforms, aimed at reducing intra-conglomerate lending, seem to have been successful, since access of non-conglomerate firms has increased, indicating a reduction of existing market imperfections for such firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 34 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert, 2005. "Does Financial Liberalization Influence Saving, Investment and Economic Growth? Evidence from 25 Emerging Market Economies, 1973-96," Working Paper Series RP2005/69, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Yan, Isabel K. & Chan, Kenneth S. & Dang, Vinh Q.T., 2011. "Financial liberalization, financing constraints and political connection: evidence from Chinese firms," MPRA Paper 35223, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Espanol, Paula, 2006. "Why exporters can be financially constrained in a recently liberalised economy? A puzzle based on Argentinean firms during the 1990s," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006 7, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Chan, Kenneth S. & Dang, Vinh Q.T. & Yan, Isabel K.M., 2012. "Financial reform and financing constraints: Some evidence from listed Chinese firms," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 482-497.
- Yan, Isabel K. & Chan, Kenneth S. & Dang, Vinh Q.T., 2011. "Financial liberalization and financing constraints: some evidence from panel data of listed Chinese firms," MPRA Paper 35227, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.