The dynamics of welfare gains and losses: An African case study
AbstractThis article uses panel survey data for Cote d'Ivoire to investigate the determinants of welfare gains and losses of households over time. A first-difference model is estimated which takes account of initial conditions. For urban areas, it was found that human capital is not only a key explanatory factor for levels of welfare, but also the most important endowment to explain welfare changes over time. In rural areas, physical capital, especially land and farm equipment, mattered most. Household size and composition and socioeconomic characteristics of the household also affected welfare changes. Policy implications are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (1997)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bebbington, Anthony, 1999. "Capitals and Capabilities: A Framework for Analyzing Peasant Viability, Rural Livelihoods and Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2021-2044, December.
- Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2002.
"Measuring the poverty reduction potential of land in rural Mexico,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
983, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2005. "Measuring the poverty reduction potential of land in rural Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 27-51, June.
- Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2002. "Measuring the Poverty Reduction Potential of Land in Rural Mexico," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6xg1q0dg, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Marijke Verpoorten & Lode Berlage, 2004.
"Genocide and land scarcity: Can Rwandan rural households manage?,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2004-15, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Marijke Verpoorten & Lode Berlage, 2004. "Genocide and Land Scarcity: Can Rwandan Rural Households Manage?," Development and Comp Systems 0409061, EconWPA.
- Marijke Verpoorten and Lode Berlage, 2004. "Genocide and land scarcity: Can Rwandan rural households manage?," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-15, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Van Campenhout, Bjorn & Dercon, Stefan, 2012. "Nonlinear dynamics of livestock assets: Evidence from Ethiopia," IFPRI discussion papers 1215, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Christiaensen, Luc J.M. & Boisvert, Richard N., 2000. "On Measuring Household Food Vulnerability: Case Evidence from Northern Mali," Working Papers 127676, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Mckay, Andrew & Lawson, David, 2003. "Assessing the Extent and Nature of Chronic Poverty in Low Income Countries: Issues and Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 425-439, March.
- Shahin Yaqub, 2003. "Relating Severe Poverty and Chronic Poverty," Working Papers wpdea0307, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- G. M. Arif & Shujaat Farooq, 2012. "Rural Poverty Dynamics in Pakistan: Evidence from Three Waves of the Panel Survey," Poverty and Social Dynamics Paper Series 2012:02, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Ayal Kimhi, 2004. "Growth, Inequality and Labor Markets in LDCs: A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 1281, CESifo Group Munich.
- Maluccio, John A. & Haddad, Lawrence James & May, Julian, 1999. "Social capital and income generation in South Africa, 1993-98," FCND discussion papers 71, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gamanou, Gisele & Morduch, Jonathan, 2002. "Measuring Vulnerability to Poverty," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Herrera, Javier & Roubaud, François, 2005. "Urban Poverty Dynamics in Peru and Madagascar, 1997-99: A Panel Data Analysis," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4977, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.