General versus vocational secondary education in developing countries: A review of the rates of return evidence
AbstractThis article questions the prevailing orthodoxy concerning the social rates of return to general and vocational secondary education in developing countries. A critical examination of all the rates of return studies that have been used to establish this orthodoxy reveals that for the large majority of them, social RORs to general secondary education are not significantly higher than for specialist secondary vocational education.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Newhouse, David & Suryadarma, Daniel, 2009.
"The value of vocational education : high school type and labor market outcomes in Indonesia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5035, The World Bank.
- David Newhouse & Daniel Suryadarma, 2011. "The Value of Vocational Education: High School Type and Labor Market Outcomes in Indonesia," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 25(2), pages 296-322, May.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Rodríguez-Planas, Núria & Schmidl, Ricarda & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2012. "A Roadmap to Vocational Education and Training Systems Around the World," IZA Discussion Papers 7110, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hawley, Joshua D., 2004. "Changing returns to education in times of prosperity and crisis, Thailand 1985-1998," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 273-286, June.
- Ofer Malamud & Cristian Pop-Eleches, 2008.
"General Education vs. Vocational Training: Evidence from an Economy in Transition,"
0807, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Ofer Malamud & Cristian Pop-Eleches, 2008. "General Education vs. Vocational Training: Evidence from an Economy in Transition," NBER Working Papers 14155, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kahyarara, Godius & Teal, Francis, 2008.
"The Returns to Vocational Training and Academic Education: Evidence from Tanzania,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2223-2242, November.
- Godius Kahyarara & Francis Teal, 2008. "The returns to vocational training and academic education: Evidence from Tanzania," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-07, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Dearden, Lorraine, et al, 2002.
"The Returns to Academic and Vocational Qualifications in Britain,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 249-74, July.
- Lorraine Dearden & Steven McIntosh & Michal Myck & Anna Vignoles, 2000. "The Returns to Academic and Vocational Qualifications in Britain," CEE Discussion Papers 0004, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- World Bank, 2001. "Thailand - Secondary Education for Employment (Vol. 2 of 2) : Background Papers," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15494, The World Bank.
- Davide Cantoni & Noam Yuchtman, 2013. "The Political Economy of Educational Content and Development: Lessons from History," CESifo Working Paper Series 4221, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fatma El-Hamidi, 2006. "General or Vocational Schooling? Evidence on School Choice, Returns, and 'Sheepskin' Effects from Egypt 1998," Journal of Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 157-176.
- Pugatch, Todd, 2012. "Safety Valve or Sinkhole? Vocational Schooling in South Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 7015, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yana van der Meulen Rodgers & Joseph Zveglich & Laura Wherry, 2006. "Gender Differences In Vocational School Training And Earnings Premiums In Taiwan," Feminist Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 527-560.
- Chris Sakellariou, 2005. "Profitability of Vocational vs. Formal Education for Men and Women in Singapore Using Quantile Regressions," Economic Growth centre Working Paper Series 0502, Nanyang Technolgical University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth centre.
- Francis Teal & Godius Kahyarara, 2008. "The returns to vocational training and academic education: Evidence from Tanzania," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2008-07, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Francis Teal & Godius Kahyarara, 2006. "To train or to educate? Evidence from Tanzania," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-051, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dario Pozzoli, 2007. "High Schools and Labour Market Outcomes: Italian Graduates," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 66(2), pages 247-294, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.