Nationalisation, Privatisation and the dilemmas of common property management in Western Rajasthan
AbstractSince 1949, the Indian state of Rajasthan has experienced a series of land reforms and other policy interventions which tended to disregard the institutional needs of natural resource management in general and common property resource management in particular. Nationalisation of land and the creation of modern forms of private property for agricultural expansion along with rising population densities have caused continuous decline in availability of common property resources and undermined possibilities for collective action in the arid zone of Rajasthan which occupies a major part of the state. This article reviews the problem of common property resources management in Rajasthan's arid zone from a historical-institutional perspective and provides a microanalysis based on a household survey in two sets of villages. It concludes by highlighting the current dilemmas of common property resource management and indicating possible directions for policy intervention.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Varughese, George & Ostrom, Elinor, 2001. "The Contested Role of Heterogeneity in Collective Action: Some Evidence from Community Forestry in Nepal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 747-765, May.
- Adger, W. Neil & Luttrell, Cecilia, 2000. "Property rights and the utilisation of wetlands," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 75-89, October.
- Suman Ghosh & Alexander Karaivanov, 2005.
"Can a raise in your wage make you worse off? A public goods perspective,"
05004, Department of Economics, College of Business, Florida Atlantic University, revised Mar 2006.
- Ghosh, Suman & Karaivanov, Alexander, 2007. "Can a raise in your wage make you worse off? A public goods perspective," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 551-571, September.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 1999. "The Ambiguous Impact of Inequality on Local Resource Management," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 773-788, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.