Does sport make you happy? An analysis of the well-being derived from sports participation
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of sports participation upon the subjective well-being of individuals. Encouraging participation in sports activity is now an important public policy issue, as it is argued that there are benefits in terms of health and well-being to individuals as well as to society through externalities. Controlling for personal and socio-demographic characteristics affecting well-being, this paper examines if participation in, and the frequency and duration of, 67 sports activities affects well-being. The form in which sports participation takes place is also investigated by examining if social-interaction sports produce more well-being. This paper demonstrates that sports participation has a positive affect upon the subjective well-being of the population and, moreover, estimates its monetary value. The effects are larger if one allows for social interactions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephan Humpert, 2013.
"Gender Differences in Life Satisfaction and Social Participation,"
International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR),
Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 6(3), pages 123-142, December.
- Stephan Humpert, 2013. "Gender Differences in Life Satisfaction and Social Participation," Working Paper Series in Economics 276, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Humpert, Stephan, 2013. "Gender Differences in Life Satisfaction and Social Participation," MPRA Paper 46775, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lechner, Michael & Downward, Paul, 2013.
"Heterogeneous Sports Participation and Labour Market Outcomes in England,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7690, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lechner, Michael & Downward, Paul, 2013. "Heterogeneous sports participation and labour market outcomes in England," Economics Working Paper Series 1323, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Michael Lechner & Paul Downward, 2013. "Heterogeneous Sports Participation and Labour Market Outcomes in England," CESifo Working Paper Series 4434, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hallmann, Kirstin & Breuer, Christoph & Kühnreich, Benedikt, 2013. "Happiness, pride and elite sporting success: What population segments gain most from national athletic achievements?," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 226-235.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.