On Structural Sources of the 1994 Turkish Crisis: a CGE modelling analysis
AbstractThis paper investigates the impact of the Turkish public sector imbalances on the evolution of the economic crisis during 1990-93. A computable general equilibrium model is used. The theoretical basis of the model rests upon the structuralist/Keynesian macro foundations. Its distinguishing features entail accommodation of oligopolistic mark-up pricing rules in the industrial sectors, and endogenous solution of capacity utilisation and unemployment levels through Keynesian mechanisms of effective final demand. The results of the model underscore the importance of intra-class relations of income distribution and conflict in the evolution of price movements in the Turkish economy. It is further argued that the sources of the capitalist in the administrative interventions of the state towards protection of the capitalist and rural incomes, which would otherwise be squeezed out in favour of wage-labour in the early 1990s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oguz Esen, 2000. "Financial Openness in Turkey," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 5-23.
- Davies, James B., 2004. "Microsimulation, CGE and Macro Modelling for Transition and Developing Economies," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Tasso Adamopoulos & Ahmet Akyol, 2009.
"Relative Underperformance Alla Turca,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(4), pages 697-717, October.
- Tasso Adamopoulos & Ahmet Akyol, 2006. "Relative Stagnation alla Turca," 2006 Meeting Papers 703, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Tasso Adamopoulos & Ahmet Akyol, 2009. "Code and data files for "Relative Underperformance Alla Turca"," Computer Codes 06-158, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Secil Pacaci Elitok & Al Campbell, 2008. "The Balance of Payments as a Constraint on Turkey’s Growth: 1960-2004," Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah 2008_13, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.