Capital Accumulation And Trade Policy:The Case Of Korea
AbstractThis paper investigates whether there are any systematic links between Domestic savings and export growth in light of the Korean experience, beginning with the early 1960s when trade policy shifted from an inward to outward orientation. The paper also examines how domestic investment might have been affected by the trade reforms. The study reveals that the impressive growth of Korea's domestic savings over the 1960-95 period owes in no small part to the Trade reforms and the subsequent rapid growth of exports. Evidence also Suggests that the long-lasting investment boom experienced by Korea over the 1960-95 period was initiated and maintained to a significant degree by the trade reform of the 1960s and thereafter. [F43, E21].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe, 1993.
"International R&D Spillovers,"
IMF Working Papers
93/84, International Monetary Fund.
- David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman, 1995. "International R&D Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 4444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coe, D.T. & Helpman, E., 1993. "International R&D Spillovers," Papers 5-93, Tel Aviv.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "International R&D Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1980.
"Trade Policy as an Input to Development,"
NBER Working Papers
0466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 1995.
"North-South R&D Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe & Alexander W. Hoffmaister, 1994. "North-South R&D Spillovers," IMF Working Papers 94/144, International Monetary Fund.
- David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman & Alexander Hoffmaister, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 5048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laumas, Prem S, 1982. "Exports and the Propensity to Save," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(4), pages 831-41, July.
- Lee, Joong-Koon, 1971. "Exports and the Propensity to Save in L.D.C.s," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(322), pages 341-51, June.
- Jong Eun Lee, 2004. "The sequential issue in free trade areas: Policy implication for Korea," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 165-174.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.