Domestic Saving and Foreign Investment in Australia: A Granger Causality Test
AbstractThis paper investigates the nature of the causal relationship between domestic saving and foreign investment in Australia using the Granger no-causality test procedure developed by Toda and Yamamoto (1995). The findings in the paper suggest that foreign investment has Granger-caused domestic saving in Australia but that no causality was found from saving to foreign investment. Therefore, the results reported in the paper reject the arguments by FitzGerald (1993) and support, indirectly, the Pitchford (1990) hypothesis in relation to the foreign debt debate in Australia and are consistent with the results of Layton and Makin (1993). [F21, F30]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. J. Makin, 1989. "Is the Current Account Deficit Sustainable?," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 22(2), pages 29-33.
- Toda, Hiro Y, 1994. "Finite Sample Properties of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegrating Ranks when Linear Trends are Present," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 66-79, February.
- Zapata, Hector O. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1996.
"Monte Carlo Evidence On Cointegration And Causation,"
31690, Louisiana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness.
- Zapata, Hector O & Rambaldi, Alicia N, 1997. "Monte Carlo Evidence on Cointegration and Causation," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 285-98, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- J. D. Pitchford, 1989. "Does Australia Really Have A Current Account Problem?," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 8(4), pages 25-32, December.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Bodman, Philip M, 1996. "On Export-Led Growth in Australia and Canada: Cointegration, Causality and Structural Stability," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(67), pages 282-99, December.
- J. D. Pitchford, 1989. "A Sceptical View of Australia's Current Account and Debt Problem," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 22(2), pages 5-14.
- Cumberworth, Matthew & Milbourne, Ross, 1996. "External Debt and Liabilities: Evidence from a Cross Section of Countries," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(218), pages 201-13, September.
- Tony Makin, 1994. "Open economy measures of wealth and Hicksian national income," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 361-369, October.
- Milbourne, Ross & Otto, Glenn, 1992. "Consumption Smoothing and the Current Account," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(59), pages 369-84, December.
- J Pentecost Eric & Ramlogan Carlyn, 2000. "The Savings Ratio and Financial Repression in Trinidad and Tobago," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 67-84.
- Devanthran, Haritharan, 2009. "Interdependence of SAARC-7 countries: an empirical study of business cycles," MPRA Paper 32798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jr-Tsung Huang, 2007. "Labor force participation and juvenile delinquency in Taiwan: a time series analysis," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 137-150, March.
- Ann Harrison & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2009.
"Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
15261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrison, Ann & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2010. "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries," Handbook of Development Economics, Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.