Domestic Saving and Foreign Investment in Australia: A Granger Causality Test
AbstractThis paper investigates the nature of the causal relationship between domestic saving and foreign investment in Australia using the Granger no-causality test procedure developed by Toda and Yamamoto (1995). The findings in the paper suggest that foreign investment has Granger-caused domestic saving in Australia but that no causality was found from saving to foreign investment. Therefore, the results reported in the paper reject the arguments by FitzGerald (1993) and support, indirectly, the Pitchford (1990) hypothesis in relation to the foreign debt debate in Australia and are consistent with the results of Layton and Makin (1993). [F21, F30]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zapata, Hector O & Rambaldi, Alicia N, 1997.
"Monte Carlo Evidence on Cointegration and Causation,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 285-98, May.
- Zapata, Hector O. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1996. "Monte Carlo Evidence On Cointegration And Causation," Staff Papers 31690, Louisiana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Milbourne, Ross & Otto, Glenn, 1992. "Consumption Smoothing and the Current Account," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(59), pages 369-84, December.
- J. D. Pitchford, 1989. "A Sceptical View of Australia's Current Account and Debt Problem," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 22(2), pages 5-14.
- A. J. Makin, 1989. "Is the Current Account Deficit Sustainable?," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 22(2), pages 29-33.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- J. D. Pitchford, 1989. "Does Australia Really Have A Current Account Problem?," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 8(4), pages 25-32, December.
- Bodman, Philip M, 1996. "On Export-Led Growth in Australia and Canada: Cointegration, Causality and Structural Stability," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(67), pages 282-99, December.
- Toda, Hiro Y, 1994. "Finite Sample Properties of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegrating Ranks when Linear Trends are Present," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 66-79, February.
- Tony Makin, 1994. "Open economy measures of wealth and Hicksian national income," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 361-369, October.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Cumberworth, Matthew & Milbourne, Ross, 1996. "External Debt and Liabilities: Evidence from a Cross Section of Countries," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(218), pages 201-13, September.
- Jr-Tsung Huang, 2007. "Labor force participation and juvenile delinquency in Taiwan: a time series analysis," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 137-150, March.
- J Pentecost Eric & Ramlogan Carlyn, 2000. "The Savings Ratio and Financial Repression in Trinidad and Tobago," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 67-84.
- Devanthran, Haritharan, 2009. "Interdependence of SAARC-7 countries: an empirical study of business cycles," MPRA Paper 32798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.