Determinants of Import Demand in Thailand
AbstractThis study estimates an aggregate import demand function for Thailand. The earlier studies on import demand based on time series date did not deal with the issue of stationarity of the time series before estimation. Using the cointegration approach, we find aggregate import demand for Thailand to be price inelastic, cross price inelastic (with respect to domestic price) and income inelastic in the short run. In the long run, aggregate import demand is still price inelastic and cross price inelastic. However, aggregate import demand is highly income elastic in the long run. [C22, F14]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 11 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sadaf Majeed & Abdul Waheed, 2012. "Analyzing the Import Demand Function with Expenditure Components: Evidence from Pakistan," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 245-259, November.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Seema, 2005. "Estimating income and price elasticities of imports for Fiji in a cointegration framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 423-438, May.
- Frimpong, Joseph Magnus & Oteng-Abayie, Eric Fosu, 2006. "Aggregate Import demand and Expenditure Components in Ghana:An Econometric Analysis," MPRA Paper 599, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Aug 0002.
- Tang Tuck Cheong, 2003. "Aggregate Import Demand Function For Eighteen Oic Countries: A Cointegration Analysis," IIUM Journal of Economics and Management, IIUM Journal of Economis and Management, vol. 11(2), pages 167-195, December.
- Tang, Tuck Cheong, 2003. "Japanese aggregate import demand function: reassessment from the 'bounds' testing approach," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 419-436, December.
- Tsangyao Chang & Yuan-Hong Ho & Chiung-Ju Huang, 2005. "A Reexamination Of South Korea¡¯S Aggregate Import Demand Function: The Bounds Test Analysis," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 119-128, June.
- Kalyoncu, Huseyin, 2006. "An aggregate import demand function for Turkey: a cointegration analysis," MPRA Paper 4260, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Musyoka, M.P., 2010. "Using Double-Log Imperfect Import Substitutes Model to Estimate Compensated Elasticities and Welfare Impacts," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 95774, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE);Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Agbola, Frank W. & Damoense, Maylene Y., 2003. "An empirical examination of import demand for pulses in India," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57823, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- M. Adetunji Babatunde & Festus O. Egwaikhide, 2010. "Explaining Nigeria's import demand behaviour: a bound testing approach," International Journal of Development Issues, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 167-187, July.
- Camacho-Gutiérrez, Pablo, 2010. "Dynamic OLS estimation of the U.S. import demand for Mexican crude oil," MPRA Paper 30608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khurram Ashfaq Baluch & Syed Kalim Hyder Bukhari, 2012. "Price and Income Elasticity of Imports: The Case of Pakistan," Working Papers id:4899, eSocialSciences.
- Stefano Chiarlone, 2000.
"Trade of quality differentiated goods and import elasticities,"
KITeS Working Papers
112, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2000.
- Stefano Chiarlone, 2000. "Trade of quality differentiated goods and import elasticities," LIUC Papers in Economics 72, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Tuck Cheong Tang, 2002. "Aggregate Import Demand Behavior For Indonesia: Evidence From The Bounds Testing Approach," IIUM Journal of Economics and Management, IIUM Journal of Economis and Management, vol. 10(2), pages 179-199, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.