Role of Corporate-Wide Offshoring Strategy on Offshoring Drivers, Risks and Performance
AbstractIn this study we investigate the role of corporate offshoring strategy on offshoring decisions and performance. Based on 876 offshoring projects from 226 companies obtained by means of surveys conducted in the USA and Europe, we examine the effect of offshoring strategy on factors influencing firms' views of offshoring, and the effect of offshoring strategy on offshoring performance. Separate analyses were conducted for US and European companies in order to explore any regional heterogeneity in offshoring. A comparative analysis between companies with and without an offshoring strategy reveals that when making offshoring decisions, the former consider a broader range of factors (drivers, risks and locations) as important compared to companies without an offshoring strategy, suggesting association between offshoring strategy and managerial attention. The results also indicate that the adoption of a corporate offshoring strategy has a significant positive effect on cost savings achieved from offshore implementations, and that innovation activities have a significant negative impact on cost savings, but only for European companies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Industry and Innovation.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~db=all~content=t713424563
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Karpaty, Patrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2011.
"Offshoring of Services and Corruption: Do Firms Escape Corrupt Countries?,"
2011:2, Örebro University, School of Business, revised 28 May 2012.
- Karpaty, Patrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2012. "Offshoring of Services and Corruption: Do Firms Escape Corrupt Countries?," Ratio Working Papers 192, The Ratio Institute.
- Karpaty, Patrik & Tingvall, Patrik Gustavsson, 2011. "Offshoring of Services and Corruption: Do Firms Escape Corrupt Countries?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 243, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Lewin, Arie Y. & Volberda, Henk W., 2011. "Co-evolution of global sourcing: The need to understand the underlying mechanisms of firm-decisions to offshore," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 241-251, June.
- Heyman, Fredrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2012.
"The Dynamics of Offshoring and Institutions,"
Working Paper Series
919, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.