The Determinants of Firm Exit from Exporting: Evidence for the UK
AbstractThis study seeks to understand to what extent new exporters are able to survive in international markets and whether exit from exporting is more likely to be associated with firm-level heterogeneity or more general factors such as trade costs and/or barriers to entry and exit (such as sunk costs). This study presents the first analysis undertaken for a nationally representative group of UK firms on the determinants of exit from exporting, using panel data covering all market-based sectors of the UK during 1997--2003. Our findings suggest that the probability of a firm ceasing to export is directly influenced by its productivity and other attributes associated with firm-level productivity differences (such as size and foreign ownership). Micro-finance factors, such as profitability and the ability to finance through long-term debt, play an additional role. Lastly, sectoral differences (e.g. industrial concentration) also help explain the firm’s exit decision, whilst trade costs lead to a higher probability of exiting from selling internationally.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal International Journal of the Economics of Business.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=101205
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mawuli Segnon & Thomas Lux, 2013. "Multifractal Models in Finance: Their Origin, Propterties, and Applications," Kiel Working Papers 1860, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Holger Görg & Marina-Eliza Spaliara, 2013.
"Export Market Exit, Financial Pressure and the Crisis,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4363, CESifo Group Munich.
- Görg, Holger & Spaliara, Marina-Eliza, 2013. "Export market exit, financial pressure and the crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 9599, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holger Görg & Marina-Eliza Spaliara, 2013. "Export market exit, financial pressure and the crisis," Kiel Working Papers 1859, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- John P. Weche Geluebcke & Chiara Franco, 2013. "The death of German firms: What role for foreign direct investment?," Working Paper Series in Economics 264, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.