Drug Price Differentials Caused by Formularies and Price Caps
AbstractThis paper analyses the behaviour of drug firms facing the threat of having their drugs excluded from the formulary of health care providers. The paper obtains two main results. One is that drug firms offer discounts to health care providers to avoid going off-list when competing in a free-entry monopolistically competitive setting, and that discounts obtained by health care providers do not cause prices to rise outside managed care. The second result is that price caps affect how prices evolve over time. Drug firms set higher introductory prices, but raise these less dramatically over time, when health care providers find it increasingly difficult to off-list older drugs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal International Journal of the Economics of Business.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=101205
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- García-Alonso, M. D. C. & Mariñoso, B. G., 2005. "The relationship of drug reimbursement with the price and the quality of pharmaceutical innovations," Working Papers 05/02, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Ivan Moreno-Torres, 2011. "Generic drugs in Spain: price competition vs. moral hazard," Working Papers XREAP2011-04, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised May 2011.
- García-Alonso, M. D. C. & Garcia-Marinoso, B., 2007.
"The strategic interaction between firms and formulary committees: effects on the prices of new drugs,"
07/16, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Garcia-Alonso, Maria D.C. & Garcia-Mariñoso, Begoña, 2008. "The strategic interaction between firms and formulary committees: Effects on the prices of new drugs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 377-404, March.
- Ivan Moreno-Torres, 2011. "What if there was a stronger pharmaceutical price competition in Spain? When regulation has a similar effect to collusion," Working Papers XREAP2011-02, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised May 2011.
- Aidan Hollis & Stephen Law, 2004. "A National Formulary for Canada," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 30(4), pages 445-452, December.
- Iván Moreno-Torres & Jaume Puig-Junoy & Josep Raya, 2011. "The impact of repeated cost containment policies on pharmaceutical expenditure: experience in Spain," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 12(6), pages 563-573, December.
- Iván Moreno-Torres & Jaume Puig-Junoy & Joan-Ramon Borrell, 2009. "Generic Entry into the Regulated Spanish Pharmaceutical Market," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 373-388, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.