Monetary Model of Exchange Rate for Thailand: Long-run Relationship and Monetary Restrictions
AbstractThis paper examines the long-run relationship between exchange rate and its determinants based on the flexible-price monetary model. The multivariate cointegration approach is adopted to attain our objective of this study. The empirical results provide evidence favoring the monetary approach to exchange rate for a small and open emerging economy, namely Thailand. In addition, the validity of the underlying assumptions of the monetary approach to the determination of exchange rate is established. The findings suggest that exchange rate players may effectively monitor and forecast the exchange rate movement via the money supplies, incomes, and interest rates variables of both Thailand and Japan. Besides, one has to follow the economic development of Thailand's major trading partner, Japan, to understanding the movement of exchange rate for Thailand. Moreover, our findings add new insights to accompany previous studies that documented the important influence of the US in the emerging Asian economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Global Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111729
Other versions of this item:
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Puah, Chin-Hong, 2009. "Monetary Model of Exchange Rate for Thailand: Long-run Relationship and Monetary Restrictions," MPRA Paper 17715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sovannroeun SAMRETH & Dara LONG, 2008.
"The Monetary Model of Exchange Rate: Evidence from the Philippines Using ARDL Approach,"
AccessEcon, vol. 6(31), pages 1-13.
- Long, Dara & Samreth, Sovannroeun, 2008. "The Monetary Model of Exchange Rate: Evidence from the Philippines Using ARDL Approach," MPRA Paper 9822, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rapach, David E. & Wohar, Mark E., 2002. "Testing the monetary model of exchange rate determination: new evidence from a century of data," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 359-385, December.
- Frank Agbola & Chartri Kunanopparat, 2005. "Determinants of exchange rate practices: some empirical evidence from Thailand," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(7), pages 807-816.
- Lee Chin & M. Azali & Zulkornain Yusop & Mohammed Yusoff, 2007. "The monetary model of exchange rate: evidence from The Philippines," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(13), pages 993-997.
- Tatsuyoshi Miyakoshi, 2000. "The monetary approach to the exchange rate: empirical observations from Korea," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(12), pages 791-794.
- Swarna Dutt & Dipak Ghosh, 2000. "An empirical note on the monetary exchange rate model," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(10), pages 669-671.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Taylor, Mark P., 1991. "The monetary approach to the exchange rate : Long-run relationships and coefficient restrictions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 179-185, October.
- Venus khim-sen Liew, 2009.
"Linear and nonlinear monetary approaches to the exchange rate of the Philippines peso-Japanese yen,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1320-1329.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen, 2009. "Linear and nonlinear monetary approaches to the exchange rate of the Philippines peso-Japanese yen," MPRA Paper 15550, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Jun 2009.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "A Fractional Cointegration Analysis of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 103-12, January.
- Abbott, Andrew & De Vita, Glauco, 2002. "Testing the long-run structural validity of the monetary exchange rate model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 157-164, April.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Siti Hamizah Mohd & Sung Ahn, 2009. "On the predictive power of monetary exchange rate model: the case of the Malaysian ringgit/US dollar rate," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(14), pages 1761-1770.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:31:p:1-13 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frenkel, Jacob A, 1976. " A Monetary Approach to the Exchange Rate: Doctrinal Aspects and Empirical Evidence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 200-224.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.