Australia's Involvement in Free Trade Agreements: An Economic Evaluation
AbstractThe establishment of Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) has become an integral part of Australia's current trade policy. Australia has signed FTAs with Singapore, Thailand and the US. Possibilities for similar agreements with the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN), China, and Japan are being explored. This paper examines the effects of FTAs on the Australian economy and on the trading partners, drawing lessons from simulations of a number of free trade agreements. The simulations are undertaken using the Global Trade Analysis Project (GTAP) model. By simulating the GTAP multi-country computable general equilibrium (CGE) model, the paper provides quantitative evidence concerning the welfare impact of FTAs with special reference to trade creation and trade diversion. Examining responses of various production sectors identifies the structural changes that may take place in the economy over the long run. The findings may shed light on the debate over the potential incentives to participate in multilateral trade liberalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Global Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 35 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RGER20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drusilla K. Brown & Kozo Kiyota & Robert M. Stern, 2005.
"Computational Analysis of the US FTAs with Central America, Australia and Morocco,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(10), pages 1441-1490, October.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Kozo Kiyota & Robert M. Stern, 2005. "Computational Analysis of the U.S FTAs with Central America, Australia, And Morocco," Working Papers 527, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Peter J. Lloyd & Donald Maclaren, 2004. "Gains and Losses from Regional Trading Agreements: A Survey," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(251), pages 445-467, December.
- Siriwardana, Mahinda, 2004. "An Analysis of the Impact of Indo-Lanka Free Trade Agreement and Its Implications for Free Trade in South Asia," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 19, pages 568-589.
- Richard G. Harris & Peter E. Robertson, 2007. "Dynamic Gains and Market Access Insurance: Another look at the AUSFTA," Discussion Papers 2007-23, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.