Gender Wage Discrimination and Poverty in the EU
AbstractThis paper analyzes the role of gender wage discrimination in household poverty rates in several European Union (EU) countries using the European Community Household Panel. In order to quantify the impact of discrimination on poverty, it proposes the construction of a counterfactual distribution of wages where discrimination against women has been removed. Using this new wage distribution, the study computes total household income and compares poverty rates in the absence of discrimination to those actually observed. The results show that, in general, discrimination against women plays a determinative role in the current levels of poverty in EU countries, although results by country show that this role differs in intensity and pattern. Further, the study finds that in EU countries the effect of discrimination on poverty risk dramatically increases for individuals in households that largely depend on working women' earnings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Feminist Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RFEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Coral Río & Carlos Gradín & Olga Cantó, 2011.
"The measurement of gender wage discrimination: the distributional approach revisited,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 57-86, March.
- Coral del Río Otero & Carlos Gradín Lago & Olga Cantó Sánchez, . "The measurement of gender wage discrimination: the distributional approach revisited," Studies on the Spanish Economy 192, FEDEA.
- Coral del Río & Carlos Gradín & Olga Cantó, 2006. "The measurement of gender wage discrimination: The distributional approach revisited," Working Papers 25, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Yalonetzky, Gaston, 2011.
"Measuring group disadvantage with inter-distributional inequality indices: A critical review and some amendments to existing indices,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2011-46, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Yalonetzky, Gaston, 2012. "Measuring group disadvantage with inter-distributional inequality indices: A critical review and some amendments to existing indices," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(9), pages 1-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.