Towards the establishment of an internal market for audit services within the European Union
AbstractThe central issue in this paper is the creation of an internal market for audit services within the European Union (EU). It provides an analysis of the impact of differences between national auditing regulations on intra-EU trade in audit services. To that end, the paper distinguishes three forms of intra-Union crossborder trade in audit services: (1) cross-border establishment as an auditor; (2) cross-border provision of audit services; and (3) cross-border control of an audit firm. The paper also distinguishes four categories of regulation of auditing: (I) regulation of the qualification as an auditor; (II) regulation of competition between auditors or audit firms; (III) regulation of control of audit firms; and (IV) other regulations. For each of the three forms of intra-Union trade the paper indicates the importance of each of the four categories of regulation as trade barriers. For each of the three forms of trade the current level of intra-EU trade is then discussed. The paper shows that there is little such trade and argues that given the intra-EU auditor regulation differences, audit markets within the EU are still separate markets. This is of course remarkable against the background of the drive towards more market integration in the EU in general. The paper then uses insights from audit market research to suggest which forms of national audit market regulations in EU Member States should be removed to increase intra-EU trade in audit services. The paper identifies existing national regulations of the control of audit firms as the most important barrier. The paper argues that removing these (strict) regulations is the most promising route towards more intra-EU trade in audit services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 7 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=100166
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Witteloostuijn, A. van & Wegberg, M.J.A.M., 1992. "Multimarket competition: Theory and evidence," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5373408, Tilburg University.
- Witteloostuijn, A. van, 1993. "Multimarket competition and business strategy," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5373416, Tilburg University.
- Witteloostuijn, A. van, 1992. "Theories of competition and market performance: multimarket competition and the source of potential entry," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5373403, Tilburg University.
- van Witteloostuijn, Arjen & van Wegberg, Marc, 1992. "Multimarket competition : Theory and evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 273-282, July.
- Maijoor, S.J. & Witteloostuijn, A. van, 1996. "An empirical test of the resource based theory: strategic regulation in the Dutch audit industry," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5373480, Tilburg University.
- DeAngelo, Linda Elizabeth, 1981. "Auditor size and audit quality," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 183-199, December.
- Alain Mikol, 1993. "The evolution of auditing and the independent auditor in France," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-16.
- Maria Antonia Garcia Benau & Emiliano Ruiz Barbadillo & Christopher Humphrey & Walid Al Husaini, 1999. "Success in failure? Reflections on the changing Spanish audit environment," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 701-730.
- C. Richard Baker & Alain Mikol & Reiner Quick, 2001. "Regulation of the statutory auditor in the European Union: a comparative survey of the United Kingdom, France and Germany," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 763-786.
- Carcello, Joseph V. & Vanstraelen, Ann & Willenborg, Michael, 2009. "Rules rather than discretion in audit standards: going-concern opinions in Belgium," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-23108, Maastricht University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.