The impact of voluntary corporate disclosures on the ex-ante cost of capital for Swiss firms
AbstractThe relationship between disclosure quality and cost of equity capital is an important topic in today's economy. In general, economic theory and anecdotal evidence suggest a negative association. Empirical work on this link, however, is confronted with major methodological drawbacks - neither disclosure level nor cost of capital can be observed directly - and has documented somewhat confounding results so far. Adopting a finite horizon version of the residual income model, I provide evidence on the nature of the above relationship and try to quantify the effect of a firm's voluntary disclosure policy on its implied cost of capital. Switzerland seems especially suited for an analysis of this kind given that Swiss firms have considerable reporting discretion and the mandated level of disclosure is low. For a cross-sectional sample of seventy-three non-financial companies I show a negative and highly significant association between the two variables. The magnitude is such that the most forthcoming firms enjoy about a 1.8 to 2.4% cost advantage over the least forthcoming firms. The findings persist even after controlling for other potentially influential variables, e.g. risk characteristics and firm size. Furthermore, adjusting for self-selection bias - a major concern in disclosure studies - the marginal effect remains of the same direction and even increases in magnitude, although at lower levels of statistical significance. One reason for the strong relationship might be found in differing institutional factors between the US and Swiss capital markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 11 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983.
"Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders,"
570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985. "Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- O'brien, Patricia C., 1988. "Analysts' forecasts as earnings expectations," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 53-83, January.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Verrecchia, Robert E., 1999. "Disclosure and the cost of capital: A discussion," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-3), pages 271-283, January.
- Klein, Roger W. & Bawa, Vijay S., 1976. "The effect of estimation risk on optimal portfolio choice," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 215-231, June.
- Fried, Dov & Givoly, Dan, 1982. "Financial analysts' forecasts of earnings : A better surrogate for market expectations," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 85-107, October.
- Bernard Raffournier, 1995. "The determinants of voluntary financial disclosure by Swiss listed companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 261-280.
- Wagenhofer, Alfred, 1990. "Voluntary disclosure with a strategic opponent," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 341-363, March.
- Handa, Puneet & Linn, Scott C., 1993. "Arbitrage Pricing with Estimation Risk," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 81-100, March.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Dechow, Patricia M. & Hutton, Amy P. & Sloan, Richard G., 1999. "An empirical assessment of the residual income valuation model1," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-3), pages 1-34, January.
- Coles, Jeffrey L. & Loewenstein, Uri & Suay, Jose, 1995. "On Equilibrium Pricing under Parameter Uncertainty," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(03), pages 347-364, September.
- Darrough, Masako N. & Stoughton, Neal M., 1990. "Financial disclosure policy in an entry game," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-3), pages 219-243, January.
- Schmidt, Marko & Grigoleit, Jens & Nippa, Michael, 2009. "Die Auswirkungen der Unternehmenstransparenz auf den Erfolg börsenorientierter Kapitalgesellschaften in Deutschland - Eine Darstellung des aktuellen Forschungsstandes," Freiberg Working Papers 2009,01, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Missonier-Piera, Franck, 2007. "Motives for fixed-asset revaluation: An empirical analysis with Swiss data," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 186-205.
- Benito Arruñada, 2008.
"Mandatory accounting disclosure by small private companies,"
Economics Working Papers
1090, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Benito Arruñada, 2011. "Mandatory accounting disclosure by small private companies," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 377-413, December.
- He, William Peng & Lepone, Andrew & Leung, Henry, 2013. "Information asymmetry and the cost of equity capital," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 611-620.
- Loukil, Nadia & Yousfi, Ouidad, 2010. "Firm's information environment and stock liquidity: evidence from Tunisian context," MPRA Paper 28699, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2011.
- Garcia-Meca, Emma & Martinez, Isabel, 2007. "The use of intellectual capital information in investment decisions: An empirical study using analyst reports," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 57-81.
- Lopes, Alexsandro Broedel & de Alencar, Roberta Carvalho, 2010. "Disclosure and cost of equity capital in emerging markets: The Brazilian case," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 443-464, December.
- Nadia Loukil & Ouidad Yousfi, 2013. "Firm's Information Environment and Stock Liquidity : Evidence from Tunisian Context," Papers 1304.4852, arXiv.org.
- Nadia Loukil & Ouidad Yousfi, 2011. "Firm's Information Environment and Stock Liquidity : Evidence from Tunisian Context," Post-Print hal-00813921, HAL.
- Hassan, Omaima A.G. & Romilly, Peter & Giorgioni, Gianluigi & Power, David, 2009. "The value relevance of disclosure: Evidence from the emerging capital market of Egypt," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 79-102, March.
- Omaima Hassan & Claire Marston, 2010. "Disclosure measurement in the empirical accounting literature - a review article," Accountancy Discussion Papers 1004, Accountancy Research Group, Heriot Watt University.
- Cheng Chee Mun, Eugene & Courtenay, Stephen M. & Rahman, Asheq R., 2011. "Effects of prior voluntary disclosure on earnings announcements in an environment with low information and regulation," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 308-329, June.
- Boujelbene, Mohamed, 2013. "The impact of intellectual capital disclosure on cost of equity capital: A case of French firms," Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Science, Universidad ESAN, vol. 18(34), pages 45-53.
- Hagemeister, Meike & Kempf, Alexander, 2007. "CAPM und erwartete Renditen: Eine Untersuchung auf Basis der Erwartung von Marktteilnehmern," CFR Working Papers 07-01, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Larcker, David F. & Rusticus, Tjomme O., 2010. "On the use of instrumental variables in accounting research," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 186-205, April.
- Paugam, Luc, 2011. "Valorisation et reporting du goodwill : enjeux théoriques et empiriques," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/8007 edited by Casta, Jean-François, December.
- Hail, Luzi & Leuz, Christian, 2009. "Cost of capital effects and changes in growth expectations around U.S. cross-listings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 428-454, September.
- Timothy Fogarty & Garen Markarian & Antonio Parbonetti, 2006. "It's a Small World After All: The Convergence of Disclosure Practices Across Legal Regimes over Time," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0014, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.