The remarkable transformation of the UV curve in economic theory
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to provide an analysis of the impact the Unemployment-Vacancy (UV) curve (or Beveridge curve) had on economic theory and to provide an account of the subsequent radical changes in its place and role over the decades since its first appearance in 1958. The paper traces the historical development of the UV curve and argues that the role of the UV curve has changed from that of a measuring device, to a graphical representation of full employment, to an axiom necessary for matching models of unemployment to a diagnostic tool. This changing role is best understood in the light of the paradigmatic change from Keynesianism to neoclassical search theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=104706
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877.
- Pissarides, C A, 1979. "Job Matchings with State Employment Agencies and Random Search," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 818-33, December.
- Brainard, S Lael & Cutler, David M, 1993.
"Sectoral Shifts and Cyclical Unemployment Reconsidered,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(1), pages 219-43, February.
- S. Lael Brainard & David M. Cutler, 1990. "Sectoral Shifts and Cyclical Unemployment Reconsidered," NBER Working Papers 3491, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burch, Susan W & Fabricant, Ruth A, 1971. "Cyclical Behavior of Help-Wanted Index and the Unemployment Rate: A Reply," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(1), pages 105-06, February.
- Bowden, Roger J, 1980. "On the Existence and Secular Stability of u-v Loci," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(185), pages 35-50, February.
- Evans, Graham J, 1975. "A Note on Trends in the Relationship between Unemployment and Unfilled Vacancies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(337), pages 135-39, March.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 881-94, October.
- Gujarati, Damodar, 1969. "Cyclical Behavior of Help-Wanted Index and the Unemployment Rate," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(4), pages 482-84, November.
- Thirlwall, A P, 1969. "Types of Unemployment: With Special Reference to 'Non Demand-Deficient' Unemployment in Great Britain," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 16(1), pages 20-49, February.
- Lilien, David M, 1982. "Sectoral Shifts and Cyclical Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(4), pages 777-93, August.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000.
"Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cohen, Malcolm S & Solow, Robert M, 1970. "The Behavior of Help-Wanted Advertising: A Reply," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(4), pages 442-43, November.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982. "Wage Determination and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 217-27, April.
- Giovanni Gallipoli & Gianluigi Pelloni, 2008. "Aggregate Shocks vs Reallocation Shocks: an Appraisal of the Applied Literature," Working Paper Series 27-08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2008.
- repec:aea:jeclit:v:43:y:2005:i:4:p:959-988 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert E. Hall, 1978.
"A Theory of the Natural Unemployment Rate and the Duration of Employment,"
NBER Working Papers
0251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E., 1979. "A theory of the natural unemployment rate and the duration of employment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 153-169, April.
- Foster, J I, 1973. "The Behaviour of Unemployment and Unfilled Vacancies: Great Britain, 1958-1971-A Comment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(329), pages 192-201, March.
- Budd, Alan & Levine, Paul & Smith, Peter, 1987. "Long-term unemployment and the shifting U-V curve : A multi-country study," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 296-305.
- Hosios, Arthur J, 1994. "Unemployment and Vacancies with Sectoral Shifts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 124-44, March.
- Taylor, Jim, 1972. "The Behaviour of Unemployment and Unfilled Vacancies: Great Britain, 1958-71. An Alternative View," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(328), pages 1352-65, December.
- Warren, Ronald S, Jr, 1980. "Unemployment and Unfilled Vacancies in U.S. Manufacturing: A Search-Turnover View," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 292-95, May.
- Butters, Gerard R, 1977. "Equilibrium Distributions of Sales and Advertising Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 465-91, October.
- Hansen, Bent, 1970. "Excess Demand, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 1-23, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.