The remarkable transformation of the UV curve in economic theory
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to provide an analysis of the impact the Unemployment-Vacancy (UV) curve (or Beveridge curve) had on economic theory and to provide an account of the subsequent radical changes in its place and role over the decades since its first appearance in 1958. The paper traces the historical development of the UV curve and argues that the role of the UV curve has changed from that of a measuring device, to a graphical representation of full employment, to an axiom necessary for matching models of unemployment to a diagnostic tool. This changing role is best understood in the light of the paradigmatic change from Keynesianism to neoclassical search theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJH20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. Lael Brainard & David M. Cutler, 1990.
"Sectoral Shifts and Cyclical Unemployment Reconsidered,"
NBER Working Papers
3491, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brainard, S Lael & Cutler, David M, 1993. "Sectoral Shifts and Cyclical Unemployment Reconsidered," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(1), pages 219-43, February.
- Lilien, David M, 1982. "Sectoral Shifts and Cyclical Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(4), pages 777-93, August.
- Foster, J I, 1973. "The Behaviour of Unemployment and Unfilled Vacancies: Great Britain, 1958-1971-A Comment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(329), pages 192-201, March.
- Burch, Susan W & Fabricant, Ruth A, 1971. "Cyclical Behavior of Help-Wanted Index and the Unemployment Rate: A Reply," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(1), pages 105-06, February.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000.
"Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hansen, Bent, 1970. "Excess Demand, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Hall, Robert E., 1979.
"A theory of the natural unemployment rate and the duration of employment,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 153-169, April.
- Robert E. Hall, 1978. "A Theory of the Natural Unemployment Rate and the Duration of Employment," NBER Working Papers 0251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bowden, Roger J, 1980. "On the Existence and Secular Stability of u-v Loci," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(185), pages 35-50, February.
- Budd, Alan & Levine, Paul & Smith, Peter, 1987. "Long-term unemployment and the shifting U-V curve : A multi-country study," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 296-305.
- Hosios, Arthur J, 1994. "Unemployment and Vacancies with Sectoral Shifts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 124-44, March.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982. "Wage Determination and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 217-27, April.
- Taylor, Jim, 1972. "The Behaviour of Unemployment and Unfilled Vacancies: Great Britain, 1958-71. An Alternative View," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(328), pages 1352-65, December.
- Thirlwall, A P, 1969. "Types of Unemployment: With Special Reference to 'Non Demand-Deficient' Unemployment in Great Britain," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 16(1), pages 20-49, February.
- Evans, Graham J, 1975. "A Note on Trends in the Relationship between Unemployment and Unfilled Vacancies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(337), pages 135-39, March.
- Warren, Ronald S, Jr, 1980. "Unemployment and Unfilled Vacancies in U.S. Manufacturing: A Search-Turnover View," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 292-95, May.
- P. Diamond, 1980.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
268, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Giovanni Gallipoli & Gianluigi Pelloni, 2008. "Aggregate Shocks vs Reallocation Shocks: an Appraisal of the Applied Literature," Working Paper Series 27-08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2008.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877.
- Butters, Gerard R, 1977. "Equilibrium Distributions of Sales and Advertising Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 465-91, October.
- Pissarides, C A, 1979. "Job Matchings with State Employment Agencies and Random Search," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 818-33, December.
- Gujarati, Damodar, 1969. "Cyclical Behavior of Help-Wanted Index and the Unemployment Rate," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(4), pages 482-84, November.
- Cohen, Malcolm S & Solow, Robert M, 1970. "The Behavior of Help-Wanted Advertising: A Reply," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(4), pages 442-43, November.
- Peter A. Diamond, 2013.
"Cyclical Unemployment, Structural Unemployment,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4130, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.