Estimation and Asymptotic Inference in the AR-ARCH Model
AbstractThis article studies asymptotic properties of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator (QMLE) for the parameters in the autoregressive (AR) model with autoregressive conditional heteroskedastic (ARCH) errors. A modified QMLE (MQMLE) is also studied. This estimator is based on truncation of individual terms of the likelihood function and is related to the recent so-called self-weighted QMLE in Ling (2007b). We show that the MQMLE is asymptotically normal irrespectively of the existence of finite moments, as geometric ergodicity alone suffice. Moreover, our included simulations show that the MQMLE is remarkably well-behaved in small samples. On the other hand, the ordinary QMLE, as is well-known, requires finite fourth order moments for asymptotic normality. But based on our considerations and simulations, we conjecture that in fact only geometric ergodicity and finite second order moments are needed for the QMLE to be asymptotically normal. Finally, geometric ergodicity for AR-ARCH processes is shown to hold under mild and classic conditions on the AR and ARCH processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 30 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2010.
"Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR–GARCH models,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1002, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," CREATES Research Papers 2008-30, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter Estimation in Nonlinear AR-GARCH Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/25, European University Institute.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," Economics Series Working Papers 396, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Anders Rahbek & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2012.
"Unit Root Vector Autoregression with volatility Induced Stationarity,"
CREATES Research Papers
2012-29, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Anders Rahbek & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2012. "Unit root vector autoregression with volatility induced stationarity," Discussion Papers 12-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- M. Caivano & A. Harvey, 2013. "Time series models with an EGB2 conditional distribution," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1325, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Zhu, Ke & Ling, Shiqing, 2013. "Global self-weighted and local quasi-maximum exponential likelihood estimators for ARMA-GARCH/IGARCH models," MPRA Paper 51509, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Emma M. Iglesias & Oliver Linton, 2009. "Estimation of tail thickness parameters from GJR-GARCH models," Economics Working Papers we094726, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.