Periodic Long-Memory GARCH Models
AbstractA distinguishing feature of the intraday time-varying volatility of financial time series is given by the presence of long-range dependence of periodic type, due mainly to time-of-the-day phenomena. In this work, we introduce a model able to describe the empirical evidence given by this periodic long-memory behaviour. The model, named PLM-GARCH (Periodic Long-Memory GARCH), represents a natural extension of the FIGARCH model proposed for modelling long-range persistence of volatility. Periodic long memory versions of EGARCH (PLM-EGARCH) and of Log-GARCH (PLM-LGARCH) models are also examined. Some properties and characteristics of the models are given and finite sample performance of quasi-maximum likelihood estimation are studied with Monte Carlo simulations. Further possible extensions of the model to take into account multiple sources of periodic long-memory behaviour are proposed. Two empirical applications on intra-day financial time series are also provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1-3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Pres, Juliusz & Torro, Hipolit, 2010.
"Model based Monte Carlo pricing of energy and temperature quanto options,"
25538, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Preś, Juliusz & Torro, Hipolit, 2012. "Model based Monte Carlo pricing of energy and temperature Quanto options," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1700-1712.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Juliusz Pres' & Hipolit Torro, 2010. "Model Based Monte Carlo Pricing of Energy and Temperature Quanto Options," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0123, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Ranaldo, Angelo & Velo, Gabriel G., 2013. "Stylized Facts and Dynamic Modeling of High-frequency Data on Precious Metals," Working Papers on Finance 1318, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Francesco Lisi, 2010. "Misspecification tests for periodic long memory GARCH models," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 47-62, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.