Forecasting Performance of an Open Economy DSGE Model
AbstractThis paper analyzes the forecasting performance of an open economy dynamic stochastic general equilibrium (DSGE) model, estimated with Bayesian methods, for the Euro area during 1994Q1-2002Q4. We compare the DSGE model and a few variants of this model to various reduced-form forecasting models such as vector autoregressions (VARs) and vector error correction models (VECM), estimated both by maximum likelihood and two different Bayesian approaches, and traditional benchmark models, e.g., the random walk. The accuracy of point forecasts, interval forecasts and the predictive distribution as a whole are assessed in an out-of-sample rolling event evaluation using several univariate and multivariate measures. The results show that the open economy DSGE model compares well with more empirical models and thus that the tension between rigor and fit in older generations of DSGE models is no longer present. We also critically examine the role of Bayesian model probabilities and other frequently used low-dimensional summaries, e.g., the log determinant statistic, as measures of overall forecasting performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 26 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2-4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=107830
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrea Carriero & Todd E. Clark & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2012.
"Common drifting volatility in large Bayesian VARs,"
1206, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Carriero, Andrea & Clark, Todd & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2012. "Common Drifting Volatility in Large Bayesian VARs," CEPR Discussion Papers 8894, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrea CARRIERO & Todd E. CLARK & Massimiliano MARCELLINO, 2012. "Common Drifting Volatility in Large Bayesian VARs," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/08, European University Institute.
- João Valle e Azevedo & João Tovar Jalles, 2011.
"Rational vs. Professional Forecasts,"
w201114, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- João Valle e Azevedo, 2011. "Rational vs. professional forecasts," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Kolasa, Marcin & Rubaszek, Michał & Skrzypczyński, Paweł, 2009.
"Putting the New Keynesian DSGE model to the real-time forecasting test,"
Working Paper Series
1110, European Central Bank.
- Marcin Kolasa & Michał Rubaszek & Paweł Skrzypczyński, 2012. "Putting the New Keynesian DSGE Model to the Real‐Time Forecasting Test," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44(7), pages 1301-1324, October.
- Adolfson, Malin & Laseén, Stefan & Lindé, Jesper & Svensson, Lars E.O., 2008.
"Optimal Monetary Policy in an Operational Medium-Sized DSGE Model,"
Working Paper Series
225, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Malin Adolfson & Stefan Laséen & Jesper Lindé & Lars E.O. Svensson, 2011. "Optimal Monetary Policy in an Operational Medium‐Sized DSGE Model," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(7), pages 1287-1331, October.
- Malin Adolfson & Stefan Laséen & Jesper Lindé & Lars E.O. Svensson, 2008. "Optimal Monetary Policy in an Operational Medium-Sized DSGE Model," NBER Working Papers 14092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adolfson, Malin & Laséen, Stefan & Lindé, Jesper & Svensson, Lars E O, 2008. "Optimal Monetary Policy in an Operational Medium-Sized DSGE Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 6907, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Malin Adolfson & Stefan Laséen & Jesper Lindé & Lars E.O. Svensson, 2011. "Optimal monetary policy in an operational medium-sized DSGE model," International Finance Discussion Papers 1023, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tobias Kitlinski & Torsten Schmidt, 2011. "The Forecasting Performance of an Estimated Medium Run Model," Ruhr Economic Papers 0301, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Paolo Zagaglia, 2011. "Forecasting Long-Term Interest Rates with a Dynamic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area: The Role of the Feedback," Working Paper Series 19_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Todd E. Clark & Francesco Ravazzolo, 2012.
"The macroeconomic forecasting performance of autoregressive models with alternative specifications of time-varying volatility,"
2012/09, Norges Bank.
- Todd E. Clark & Francesco Ravazzolo, 2012. "The macroeconomic forecasting performance of autoregressive models with alternative specifications of time-varying volatility," Working Paper 1218, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Rubaszek, Michal & Skrzypczynski, Pawel, 2008. "On the forecasting performance of a small-scale DSGE model," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 498-512.
- Christoffel, Kai & Warne, Anders & Coenen, Günter, 2010. "Forecasting with DSGE models," Working Paper Series 1185, European Central Bank.
- Matthew Greenwood-Nimmo & Viet Hoang Nguyen & Yongcheol Shin, 2012. "International Linkages of the Korean Economy: The Global Vector Error-Correcting Macroeconometric Modelling Approach," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2012n18, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Warne, Anders & Coenen, Günter & Christoffel, Kai, 2013. "Predictive likelihood comparisons with DSGE and DSGE-VAR models," Working Paper Series 1536, European Central Bank.
- Hakan Yilmazkuday, 2011.
"Oil Shocks through International Transport Costs: Evidence from U.S. Business Cycles,"
1105, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Hakan Yilmazkuday, 2011. "Oil shocks through international transport costs: evidence from U.S. business cycles," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 82, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Zagaglia, Paolo, 2009. "Forecasting with a DSGE Model of the term Structure of Interest Rates: The Role of the Feedback," Research Papers in Economics 2009:14, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Massimiliano Marcellino & Yuliya Rychalovska, 2012. "An estimated DSGE model of a Small Open Economy within the Monetary Union: Forecasting and Structural Analysis," RSCAS Working Papers 2012/34, European University Institute.
- Ratto, Marco & Roeger, Werner & Veld, Jan in 't, 2009. "QUEST III: An estimated open-economy DSGE model of the euro area with fiscal and monetary policy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 222-233, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.